Work Folders Client Support

Question

• What planned work folder client support will there be?

- Windows 8.1 - Yes

- Windows 8.1 RT - Yes

- Windows 7 - ?

- OSX (What versions) - ?

- iOS (What versions) - ?

- Android (What versions) - ?

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz

@alanburchill

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:21 PM

Answers

• Hello Alan,

Thank you for your question

As you indicated above, at general availability, Work Folders will be supported on Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 RT

Shortly after (ETA to be announced) we will release a Windows 7 download and an iPAD app (version/s to be announced as well)

We don't have anything firm on Android and MAC yet so I would leave that open for now. Same goes for phone form factor

As always, your feedback on this would be great

Regards,

Nir Ben-Zvi (Microsoft)

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Alan,

Thank you for your question

As you indicated above, at general availability, Work Folders will be supported on Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 RT

Shortly after (ETA to be announced) we will release a Windows 7 download and an iPAD app (version/s to be announced as well)

We don't have anything firm on Android and MAC yet so I would leave that open for now. Same goes for phone form factor

As always, your feedback on this would be great

Regards,

Nir Ben-Zvi (Microsoft)

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:54 AM
  • Awesome, great to hear!  The sooner we can get a Windows 7 client the better.  This will massively speed up our adoption of Server 2012 R2 in our environments because we have many disparate files servers that could greatly benefit from this.

While we'll have a very limited deployment of Surface Pro devices with Windows 8.1, the vast majority of users are still on Windows 7.

I have had a few sync issues in my testing with Work Folders though.  Sometimes, it just flat out doesn't sync something and doesn't report any issues.  It would be nice to have a console that allows you to force a sync, or restart the service.  I also tested file conflict ions on two Surface Pro devices and again, it renamed the file a couple of times, but other times, one device simply didn't sync.

Anyway, thanks again!

Friday, August 02, 2013 7:08 PM