none
Group Policy Preferences - IE settings not being applied

Question

• Hi

I'm trying to deliver IE settings with group policy preferences and unable to do so.

All other group policy preferences can be applied with no issues.

Any ideas on how I can get this working?

Thanks

James
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

• When you're in the policy preferences window, take a look and see if the setting you're trying to configure is outlined/underlined in red. If so, press the F6 key to change the colour to green.

In short, if the setting is red then it may not apply, while if the setting is green it will always be applied.

So for example, if you're trying to specify a home page, type in the home page URL, then press F6. What you will see is the broken red underline turn into a solid green underline, which means the setting will always be applied.

Cheers,
    Lain
    • Marked as answer by James1981 Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:42 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:10 AM

All replies

• I would also like some help with this.  Some settings are applied, such as I can make the status bar show up, but the home page setting which has always worked on our Windows XP machines is not getting set on the windows 7 computers.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:04 PM
  • When you're in the policy preferences window, take a look and see if the setting you're trying to configure is outlined/underlined in red. If so, press the F6 key to change the colour to green.

In short, if the setting is red then it may not apply, while if the setting is green it will always be applied.

So for example, if you're trying to specify a home page, type in the home page URL, then press F6. What you will see is the broken red underline turn into a solid green underline, which means the setting will always be applied.

Cheers,
    Lain
    • Marked as answer by James1981 Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:42 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:10 AM
  • I know this is a bit old but this just helped me fix my group policy for machines running IE 10 and the old Internet Explorer Maintenance settings stopped working.  So I had to switch to the preferences settings instead.  Of course only some of my settings where working and some not.  There's no indication on the screen regarding pressing F6.  Anyways, this helped me greatly.  Thanks!

Jason Prahl

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:25 PM