none
Windows 8 Store Group Policy

Question

• Was forwarded here from the normal Windows help site.

We have a windows 8 PC on a domain, trying to access the store.

We can download the app, but not install, due to a group policy restriction.

What are the restrictions here? Looked through Group policy on server 2003 and can't find anything, and I believe even updating to server 2012 wouldn't give us any more store options. 

I found some local policy options on the machine which allowed the store etc (all were not configured anyway) but don't want to be randomly changing stuff on the server if it could effect the whole domain. 

Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the error you are getting and also provide the details about the settings which you are mentioning.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:00 AM
  • "This app couldn't be installed because of the Group Policy set by your system administrator. Please contact your system administrator for more information"

I asking for you guys to tell me what settings to change, I haven't done anything yet.

There is something within Group Policy blocking the installation of apps, what do I need to tick and untick?

Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the event log of the PC where you are getting the error. In the application log you should get the error details if you have any Group Policy Software Restriction. If there is no error then we need to look at different aspects by using Procmon and checking what is getting blocked.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

First of all, I suggest we’d better check the Group Policy settings applied to the Windows 8 client. Please collect the following information to check the Group Policy settings.

GPMC.log

==================

a. On domain controller, click Start ->Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console.

b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

c. Right click  the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report to save the report to a HTML file.

Once we get the log, we could check which Group Police settings have been configured to restrict users from installing program.

In addition, I suggest we could refer to the similar thread below, it provides us the information about how to prevent software installation via Group Policy. Hope this helps.

Prevent Software installation using Group Policy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/feb8f197-9aa8-4772-8d9f-c6f7ddb95167

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Although most of the existing policies around software installation would not impact .appx Store package installations, since as far as I know they are not using traditional MSI installer technology. The newest version of AppLocker does include the ability to block execution of Store applications, so that would be the first place I'd look (under Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Application Control Policies) but I agree that getting a GP Result report would be a good first step here.

Darren

Darren Mar-Elia MS-MVP, Group Policy
    www.gpoguy.com
    www.sdmsoftware.com - "The Group Policy Experts"

Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

Did you got the chance to check the event log of PC and the other solutions provide to you. Please let us know if any other help is required from our end.

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Can't seem to open gpmc.msc...

I think it is a domain policy issue anyways. Maybe we need server 2012 to control this?

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hi Stokesley School,

If it's still actual, please take a look for potential solution here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/fabae097-ba37-4d78-af31-e45ccbef32bc

Maybe that will help.

Slava Gorbunov
    http://wyldesolutions.com
    http://wyldesharepoint.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:11 AM
  • If you're missing .mscs, there isn't a chance that this is the home version of 8?  The one named "Windows 8" as opposed to "Windows 8 enterprise" or "Windows 8 pro?"

That could explain a few things.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:02 PM
  • I am not sure this will help you, but we just joined windows 8 computers on a windows 2008 domain, and I was getting same error when I attempted to load an app on a mandatory profile.  Our training department wanted the app store available so they can show how to use the app store.  Appears there are some new group policies for windows 8 that prevent the installation of app packages on Special profiles which include mandatory, super mandatory, temporary, and system profiles.    The policy to allow this can be enabled as follows:  On Windows 8 computer login as an administrative user hit the Windows+r key (this brings up a run command); Type in GPEDIT.msc then hit enter; Browse to Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Admin Templates>Windows Components>App Package Deployment.  Double click Allow deployment operations in special profiles, set this value to enable, then click OK.  Log out and back in as the user, you should see all the default apps return and be able to download apps by logging into a Microsoft account.  I looked to see if I can set the same as a policy effecting computers on the windows 2008 server, however this set of policies was not available.  As a side note does anyone know how to get this group policy set loaded on a windows 2008 server or is it only available at Server 2012.

Amy-NetAdmin-Rocky

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Am 23.05.2013 15:54, schrieb Amy Wilson:
    > As a side note does anyone know how to get this group policy
    > set loaded on a windows 2008 server or is it only available at Server
    > 2012.

You know about the Central Store?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for the fix
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:50 PM
  • I am facing similar issues with my Windows 8 Store .. Have you diagnosed the problem yet?

If yes, then please provide me with the solution please:(

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:44 AM