none
Question on get-aduser and properties

Question

• I am fairly new to PowerShell and have gotten quite a bit of help browsing the Forums and asking questions.

I have been working on getting Properties from get-aduser, and its bafflilng to me on the below examples.

To find if a user account is enabled I have used:

get-aduser -identity USERNAME | %{$_.enabled}

This will return True or False

To check if a user account is Locked I found this will return True or False

(get-aduser -identity USERNAME -Properties LockedOut).LockedOut

Why is this?  When I try

get-aduser -identity USERNAME | %{$_.LockedOut}, it returns blank

Subsequently if I try

(get-aduser -identity USERNAME -Properties Enabled).Enabled, it returns blank.

Friday, February 08, 2013 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have a look at

Search-ADAccount -AccountExpired

and

Search-ADAccount -AccountDisabled

I've looked at (get-aduser -identity USERNAME -Properties Enabled).Enabled works for me. get-aduser -identity USERNAME | %{$_.LockedOut} is blank for me because my account isn't locked ... but get-aduser -identity USERNAME | % {$_.Enabled} returns true

Have you looked at get-aduser USERNAME | Get-Member ...I

s there anything in particular you're trying to achieve or just understanding?

Thanks,

John

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Thanks John,

I may not have explained my question right.

I am confused on why I have to use two different methods to pull a property out of get-aduser?  Both the Enabled and LockedOut properties return True or False.

I am quickly finding out there are very many different ways to get something accomplished in Powershell.

Chris

Friday, February 08, 2013 6:55 PM
  • You are right that there is often more than one way to accomplish a task in PowerShell. There is a fundamental difference between the Enabled and LockedOut properties exposed by Get-ADUser. Enabled is a default property, so it is returned whether you ask for it or not. LockedOut, however, is an extended property. It is only retrieved if you request it with the -Properties parameter.

I find that the following always returns either True or False (unlike what you report):

(Get-ADUser -Identity username -Properties Enabled).Enabled

In fact, the following also always returns either True or False, because Enabled is a default property:

(Get-ADUser -Identity username).Enabled

If I request the LockedOut property, then again I always get either True or False:

Get-ADUser -Identity username -Properties LockedOut | % {$_.LockedOut}

I document the default properties exposed by many of the Get-AD* cmdlets here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12031.active-directory-powershell-ad-module-properties.aspx

I never found documentation on the extended properties, so for Get-ADUser I document them here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12037.active-directory-get-aduser-default-and-extended-properties.aspx

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:04 AM