none
Recycle Bin corrupted

Question

• I have a windows 2008 server that we are using for the failover clustering.
    I've recently added 2 new SAN disks to the system.  Today when I login to the server I get a pop up....

The Recycle Bin on P:\ is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?

I also get this for the second volume mounted in the O:\.

I've said YES and NO to this..but keeps coming back.....

I attempted to copy data to these disks yesterday from within my application, I'm sharing these disks out as NFS shares. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kelly 
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• hi kelly,

i faced the similar problem earlier and i ran the below command 

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

This clears out the $Recycle.bin folder from the C:\ partition. You may have to do this for each hard disk partition in your system

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I get access denied when doing this..and I am administrator
    Friday, January 16, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

Did you run the command in an Elevated Command Prompt??

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:08 AM
  • hi there

i forgot to mention that , you need to elevate the access to administrator thanks vincent :)
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:28 AM
  • I have run into a similar problem while using Windows 8 Pro ..

At start up I kept getting the error message "The Recycle Bin on H:\ is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?" .. In my case, my "H" Drive is a Western Digital 2.0 TB My Book External Hard Drive (encrypted) .. After selecting the button option yes, the error window would go away until the next system start up ..

After searching the forums and using the "rd /s /q H:\$Recycle.bin" command from an Elevated Command Prompt rectified this error .. It may be worth noting this in an Windows 8 Pro forum and/or noting this has a Window 8 Pro Fix as well so other users in my situation will be able to find a solution to this problem should it occur for them .. Also, describing how to open an Elevated Command Prompt window and/or what that is will help the average user ..

Thank you :)

• Proposed as answer by Orvidor Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:24 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:24 AM
  • I have run into a similar problemi  while using Windows 8 Pro ..

At start up I kept getting the error message "The Recycle Bin on H:\ is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?" .. In my case, my "H" Drive is a Western Digital 2.0 TB My Book External Hard Drive (encrypted) .. After selecting the button option yes, the error window would go away until the next system start up ..

After searching the forums and using the "rd /s /q H:\$Recycle.bin" command from an Elevated Command Prompt rectified this error .. It may be worth noting this in an Windows 8 Pro forum and/or noting this has a Window 8 Pro Fix as well so other users in my situation will be able to find a solution to this problem should it occur for them .. Also, describing how to open an Elevated Command Prompt window and/or what that is will help the average user ..

Thank you :)

please do the try again may be this will right. 

Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:17 AM
  • http://aztcs.org/meeting_notes/winhardsig/harddrives/repairing/070-corrupted-Recycle-Bin.pdf
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:02 AM
  • http://aztcs.org/meeting_notes/winhardsig/harddrives/repairing/070-corrupted-Recycle-Bin.pdf

I already made a backup image of C and back up the files already so all I have to do is use the special disk I made "repair disc" from the administrations tools and Control Panel in the back up section and I should be good
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:04 AM
  • Thank you for your help ! It really works...

Thank you so much...

Friday, February 07, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Hi mate. I am facing the same problem, and I followed all the steps of your pdf guide. However, when the pop up window fisrt appeared, I was trying to delete a file in a folder of my HDD. Then, the pop up window asked me say yes or no (The Recycle Bin on P:\ is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?), I said yes.

The is that the folder disappeared, but I am not sure whether the files were deleted because I still have the same space available on my HDD, and cant see the files. Were they deleted? How can I recover them, if possible.

Need help. Thanks.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:07 PM
  • What if the error is pointing to a location that doesn't exist?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:25 AM