none
How to assign a static IP address in windows server 2008 R2?

Question

• Hello,

I would like to assign a static IP address to an appliance device we are using on the network. I need to use the static ip address for port forwarding. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

We are using the following version:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Best,

Christopher

C.L.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:08 PM

Answers

• There is no need to define this on the server if you use the Cisco appliance to define the NAT rule.

• Marked as answer by Ucensys Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:37 PM

All replies

• If I understand correctly it is the appliance that should have a static IP, not the server?

There are usually two ways to accomplish this:

- Most appliances will let you log on and set a static IP address. This is the only way to create a true static IP adress.

- To achieve the benefits of a static IP address you can create a reservation in DHCP to make sure the appliance receives the same address every time it is turned on. If the DHCP server is hosted by the 2008 R2 server, this is the procedure: Boot the device using DHCP. Open DHCP console, expand Scope -> Address Leases. Find the record for your appliance, right click it and choose Add to reservation.

If you want the a appliance to have a specific address, do as above, but only make a note of the UniqueID instead of right clicking the record. Then right click Reservations (same level as Address leases) and choose New reservation... Provide a name for the appliance, the wanted IP address and enter the UniqueID in the MAC address field. Boot the appliance and it should get the specified address.

• Edited by Eirik Hamer Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hi Eirik,

Thank you for the reply. The server (where Win Server 2008 is installed) currently has a static ip address. The appliance is a seperate device we are using to host an application. The appliance does allow me to set a static IP address which I have already done. In our enviornment DHCP is handled by a Cisco Firewall/Router.

With this in mind, I am wondering whether I need to assign the static ip (that I set through the appliance) somewhere in Win Server 2008?

Best,

C.L.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:29 PM
  • There is no need to define this on the server if you use the Cisco appliance to define the NAT rule.

• Marked as answer by Ucensys Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:37 PM