none
DHCP - assign 2 MAC address into same IP

Question

• How can I assign 2 of mac address into same IP address on 2008R2 DHCP server?

Notebook have wifi MAC and NIC MAC address.
    User will plug-in network by cable on non-wifi cover area and use wifi on covered area.
    Moreover, user also will go out to use public wifi, so I can't config their notebook use static IP.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can't do this, and more to the point, you shouldn't be doing this - not even with static addresses.

Servers can do this through something called NIC teaming - which requires specific software, but this is not a client function.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Thanks your reply, just hope have this function but I don't know how to config.

Should not do, but need to do.
    If assign to 2 different IP, will increase managment cost and difficulty, such as firewall control and monitoring.

This is a basic needs for today many notebook users.
    MS 2008R2 still not able to do that, so disappointed, IP conflict can design rules on DHCP management.
    that need build up a linux DHCP for that, it is so simple method on Linux,
    but this is not cost effective to setup a server for DHCP usage only.

• Edited by peh man Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:35 AM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

As you said, Windows DHCP server do not support to assign different MAC address with same IP address. However, you may conside to create a brigde with the wireless and wired network. So the computer will have one common MAC address. And using DHCP specific the IP address. But this can bring some potential security risks for your network.

For more information about network bridging, please refer to the following articles:

Create a network bridge
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-a-network-bridge

Network Bridging Security
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms883141.aspx

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:18 AM