none
SNMP Service stops responding and hangs when stopped - Server 2008 Standard 32-bit

Question

• Hello.  I have a number of Dell Power Edge 2900's and 2950's in use in our district.  I have started deploying Dell OpenManage to start monitoring their status.

Issue is not with OpenManage but the SNMP service.  The service is installed via Server Manager and Features.  Only the SNMP services are installed.  It is used to communicate with the OpenManage Console setup on another server.

The issue is that after a few days, a number of the servers stop responding to the console.  I have found that it is the SNMP service has stopped responding.

This is a list errors from the Event Viewer I have found when the service fails:

Error positioning to end of log file -- can't get oldest log record. Handle specified is 30933044. Return code from GetOldestEventLogRecord is 223. - Event ID 3003

Log file not positioned at end. - Event ID 3001

SNMP Event Log Extension Agent did not initialize correctly. - Event ID 2019

Error processing registry parameters. Extension agent terminating. - Event ID 1020

SNMP Event Log Extension Agent did not initialize correctly. - Even ID 2019

If anyone else suggestions on how to fix this it would be really appreciated as it is affecting several servers, not just one. All affected so far are Windows Server 2008 Standard 32-bit. All Microsoft updates have been done. (side note, if anyone knows how to fix the font size in this post, this would be appreciated too.)

I should mention that it takes restarting the server for the SNMP service to start working again.

• Edited by RyReb Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:10 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

"SNMP Event Log Extension Agent did not initialize correctly. - Event ID 2019"

Explanation:

There is not enough memory to start the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) extension agent.

User Action:

To allow the SNMP extension agent to start, try one or both of the following:

Save your work, close other programs, and then try to start the SNMP service again.

Increase the amount of RAM installed on the computer.

Meanwhile, please also have a look at this article:

The SNMP Event Log Extension Agent does not initialize correctly on a computer that is running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008

http://kbalertz.com/950923/Event-Extension-Agent-initialize-correctly-computer-running-Windows-Vista-Service-Windows-Server.aspx

Hope this helps!

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  I will try the hotfix mentioned in the article.  I don't think it's a memory problem however as all the servers have 4Gb of RAM and virtual memory is set to automatically manage. 

I will post again when I have tried the hotfix on a few of the servers and let you know the results.

Thank you.

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm the current situations. If you need more help, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you.

Vivian Wang

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:12 AM
  • Hello,

Just came in this morning to check the condition of our servers from the weekend and only 6 of the 12 servers are showing up in our OpenManage console.  Looks like the hotfix does not fix the SNMP service from hanging.  I tried restarting the SNMP service on one of the servers that had the hotfix applied and it still hangings when trying to stop the service.

I am open to anymore suggestions.

Thank you.

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Please check this KB article:

SNMP Service Does Not Start or Hangs on Shutdown

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272680

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I had gone through this article before posting to this forum.  Unfortunately the fix does not work in this case.  We have not used SMS on these servers and the SNMP services are being installed fresh using the Server Manager - Features option.  The files and registry entries referred to in the article do not exist before installing the service via Server Manager.

Any other ideas?  I have noticed that our three 2008 R2 servers that are reporting to OpenManage, they are stable with the SNMP service.

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Are there any version updates to SNMP that can be done?  I installed the version available to Windows 2008 32-bit via Server Manager.  Does anyone know how to check which version this is and if it's possible to update it?
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi RyRed,

About SNMP version, please check this:

Supported Versions

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa379141(v=vs.85).aspx

How to check the version, i found the similar thread:

How do I find the SNMP Protocol Version used in Server 2008 R2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverPN/thread/20188c57-ff27-4c99-8828-a98405ecc3e0/

Hope this helps!

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Not sure why this was marked as answered but I will check out the links you posted.

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:55 PM
  • There was one more hotfix (KB2555958) that I tried that was in one of the likes you posted Vivian but it too does not seem to solve this problem.

What I am wondering now, is if there is any type of distruption in communication between SNMP clients, will that at times cause the SNMP service to stop responding?

I have noticed that there are 4 of our servers that are rock solid in reporting.  3 2008 R2's and 1 2008 32-bit.  The 3 2008 R2's are local servers and the 1 2008 32-bit is a school server but is connected via a direct fiber link and does not pass through an internet provided, whereas the rest of the school servers do reply on a internet provider.  It appears that SNMP is being touchy with possible communication outages or something.  Is this possible?

Thank you.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:18 PM