none
Migrate Distribution Groups using ADMT across Forest

Question

• Hi,

We are migrating cross-forest between Two Exchange Organisations from Forest A to Forest B.

We have the AD User Objects syncronised from Source domain (Enabled) to the Target domain as disabled user objects. Therefore, they are linked mailboxes in Exchange Organisation B.

GAL's are sync'd between both forests: If User A still resides in Forest A, then in forest A Exchange org Console, it will show as a Mailbox user and in forest B Exchange org Console, it will show as a Mail Enabled user object (aka contact). When User A is migrated over to Exchange Forest B, then it will be updated as a mail enabled contact in Forest A and Mailbox user in Forest B.

So, the basics are working and migrations are started taking place.

However, we have a problem with Distribution Lists - we are not sure how to migrate Distribution lists over.

I've tested with ADMT 3.2 using the Group Account Migration Wizard. Finishing the wizard, I see in the Target domain Active Directory that the Distribution Group has been created, however the group is empty. This is my issue.

The options where I would like clarification on is the Group Options page of the Wizard.

When I check 'Update User rights' and 'Fix Membership of Group', the group is created but does not contain any members.

When I run the ADMT Group wizard again, this time also selecting 'Copy Group members' and 'update previously migrated objects', it creates the DL (which is good) and with the members, HOWEVER, the user objects (members) have been created again in AD. Therefore I have dusplicate user objects now.

1. The user objects which are Exchange Mail/mailbox enabled using our AD Syncronisation method (with all the required attributes).
    2. The new (duplicate) user objects which have been created in target AD and are not Exchange enabled.

Therefore, it seems something we're doing is incorrect or maybe ADMT isn't the tool for this?

(BTW - I understand that the ADMT will not Exchange Mail enable the DL's - this is fine and not the issue as I'm sure i'll find a script to Exchange enable them.)

Our co-existence is to take over 6 months at least (we have over 3500 mailboxes to migrate and over 100 Distribution Lists. If a user is migrated over to Exchange Org B and wants to send an email to a Distribution List, i'd expect the user to see the DL in the GAL with all users (members) in - regardless if they're migrated or not.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

make love not war

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

• >>> We have the AD User Objects syncronised from Source domain (Enabled) t

How? and which tool are you doing?

>>> GAL's are sync'd between both forests:

Again, how? J

>>> HOWEVER, the user objects (members) have been created again in AD. Therefore I have dusplicate user objects now.

My assumption is you are using multiple tools here. So there might a name conflict.

Santhosh Sivarajan | Houston, TX
    http://www.sivarajan.com/

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn SS Tech Forum

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Have a read of this thread from Technet.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrmigration/thread/0252068c-553f-4e8a-b68b-8aa083373331

ADMT doesn’t have an Exchange/mailbox migration option.  If you are not planning to use a third party migration tool like Quest or NetIQ, your only option is to export the mailbox (exmerge) and import them.  But you will have some mail routing challenges here – like non-migrated users sending emails to migrated users and vice versa.

If you have a lot of mailboxes to migrate my recommendation is to consider a third party migration tool or a custom solution for mail routing (you can use a dummy SMTP address in the targetAddress attribute and a SMTP connector during the migration/co-existence to achieve this).

For better assistance related to exchnage refer exchange forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchangeserver
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchange2010

Best Regards,

Sandesh Dubey.

MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Hi Santhosh.. We have a script which copies all the attributes from source to target and mail-enables the user object as a Contact only. so that it is in the target GAL. This 'tool' is a vbs script which is in two parts: export.vbs exports all the objects with attributes, and then import.vbs which checks to ensure there is no duplicates and adds/modifies any new/changed user objects.

The syncronisation part is built into the script (it has a criteria to check whether any changes have been made since the previous sync) - this is set using Task Scheduler to whatever period we specify.

Therefore, you are correct.. Two products are used here - the script for User Objects and ADMT for the DL's, because the script does not migrate the DL's.

Sandesh - the mailbox migrations and mail routing are all fine.. the problem is with migrating Distribution Groups using ADMT.

Thanks both for your assistance so far..

make love not war

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• >>> We have the AD User Objects syncronised from Source domain (Enabled) t

How? and which tool are you doing?

>>> GAL's are sync'd between both forests:

Again, how? J

>>> HOWEVER, the user objects (members) have been created again in AD. Therefore I have dusplicate user objects now.

My assumption is you are using multiple tools here. So there might a name conflict.

Santhosh Sivarajan | Houston, TX
    http://www.sivarajan.com/

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn SS Tech Forum

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Have a read of this thread from Technet.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrmigration/thread/0252068c-553f-4e8a-b68b-8aa083373331

ADMT doesn’t have an Exchange/mailbox migration option.  If you are not planning to use a third party migration tool like Quest or NetIQ, your only option is to export the mailbox (exmerge) and import them.  But you will have some mail routing challenges here – like non-migrated users sending emails to migrated users and vice versa.

If you have a lot of mailboxes to migrate my recommendation is to consider a third party migration tool or a custom solution for mail routing (you can use a dummy SMTP address in the targetAddress attribute and a SMTP connector during the migration/co-existence to achieve this).

For better assistance related to exchnage refer exchange forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchangeserver
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchange2010

Best Regards,

Sandesh Dubey.

MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Hi Santhosh.. We have a script which copies all the attributes from source to target and mail-enables the user object as a Contact only. so that it is in the target GAL. This 'tool' is a vbs script which is in two parts: export.vbs exports all the objects with attributes, and then import.vbs which checks to ensure there is no duplicates and adds/modifies any new/changed user objects.

The syncronisation part is built into the script (it has a criteria to check whether any changes have been made since the previous sync) - this is set using Task Scheduler to whatever period we specify.

Therefore, you are correct.. Two products are used here - the script for User Objects and ADMT for the DL's, because the script does not migrate the DL's.

Sandesh - the mailbox migrations and mail routing are all fine.. the problem is with migrating Distribution Groups using ADMT.

Thanks both for your assistance so far..

make love not war

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Did you find a solution Cheeky?

Friday, May 11, 2012 3:40 AM