none
Server Manager reporting Manageability problem after fresh install WS2012 RC

Question

• Hi,

Installation of the new Windows Server 2012 Release Preview went flawless - fresh install - however the Server Manager keeps reporting the following error:

Refresh completed with one or more warning messages

Manageability is colored red and File and Storage Services reports:

"Cannot get BPA results".

and I see the following notifications:

Warning BPA result refresh message: No results were found for one or more BPA models. Run a BPA scan on all roles that are installed on this server, and then try this operation again. 2/06/2012 1:23:44
    Warning BPA result refresh message: The system was unable to open one or more BPA results because the results either do not exist, the results are corrupted, or you do not have sufficient access rights to open them. For more information, see the Operational channel in the ServerManager-ManagementProvider error log on the target server. 1/06/2012 3:23:48

In that ServerManager-ManagementProvider log I find warnings:

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/FileServices:$reports$\$latestreport$\Discovery.xml:$creationtime$. error: The system cannot find the file specified., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/FileServices:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

What is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Friday, June 01, 2012 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Freggel,

Thx for your query. The BPA scan "error" notification, for File services not installed, is already tracked for Windows Server 2012. You dont require to install File Services :) and can configure server for other features as needed.

Thx

Manish

• Marked as answer by freggel Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:54 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you run the BPA scan for the machine? BPA scan can be run using Server Manager console itself.

For this, go to "All Servers" canvas. Scroll below on this canvas to Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) tile. Click on "Tasks --> Start BPA Scan". Select the machine in opened window and complete the scan.

Thx

Manish

Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:35 AM
  • OK, I've run the BPA Scan, and get the following Error in the best practices analyzer grid:

Problem:

The File Services are not installed.

Impact:
    File Services will not be available on the system.

Resolution:
    If File Services are required, add the File Services feature role.

Scan time: 2/06/2012 3:50:08

BPA model version: 1.0

---

Why would I have to install File Services?  I was planning to use the server for Hyper-V 3.0 only at the moment.

Mind this is a completely fresh install - no roles or features added yet - but right after the first boot Server Manager showed these warnings and now BPA result error.

So please guide me what to do or check next,

Thanks!!

Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Hi Freggel,

Thx for your query. The BPA scan "error" notification, for File services not installed, is already tracked for Windows Server 2012. You dont require to install File Services :) and can configure server for other features as needed.

Thx

Manish

• Marked as answer by freggel Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:54 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:47 AM
  • I am seeing the same issue.  And, adding File Services did not help.  The BPA message shows up as a warning in the AD DS, DHCP, DNS, File & Storage Services, Hyper-V and Print Services role groups.

[quote]The BPA scan "error" notification, for File services not installed, is already tracked for Windows Server 2012. You dont require to install File Services :) and can configure server for other features as needed.[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that this is a known bug?

"loose" = opposite of tight; "LOSE" = opposite of find/win!

Sunday, June 03, 2012 12:02 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue.  And, adding File Services did not help.  The BPA message shows up as a warning in the AD DS, DHCP, DNS, File & Storage Services, Hyper-V and Print Services role groups.

[quote]The BPA scan "error" notification, for File services not installed, is already tracked for Windows Server 2012. You dont require to install File Services :) and can configure server for other features as needed.[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that this is a known bug?

"loose" = opposite of tight; "LOSE" = opposite of find/win!

Yes, he is.

-------------------------------- - A Fabis Abstinentes ||| --------------------------------

Monday, June 04, 2012 12:54 PM
  • very good,

but how can we cancel the "error" … please advise

so that dash board changes from "RED" to green ...

Many thanks

Sepp

Thanks Sepp

• Proposed as answer by Graham Fraser Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:56 AM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 1:48 PM
  • To get rid of the warnings and actually I actually went ahead and added the server role and ran the BPA scan again.

1. Go to Dashboard
    2. Click on Add roles and features
    3. Click Next for the "Before you begin step"
    4. Select "Role based or feature based installation" and click next
    5. Select the given server from the server pool and click next
    6. In the Server Roles step make sure the following is checked:  File and Storage Services > File and iSCSI Services > File Server, then click next
    7. Click next through for the rest of the steps and install the server role
    8. Rerun the BPA scan as described earlier

Couple of other notes. I was running WS 2012 RC on vmware and I also dont know how to make the "error" just go away. That being said if you want to add the file server you can follow the steps mentioned above.

Monday, June 11, 2012 1:46 AM
  • I too, am receiving this error in a fresh install of Server 2012 as a VM on a Server 2008 R2 machine. I also don't understand why when I run BPA, I get as a result, "Error: The File Services Installation. Problem: The File Services are not installed." Is FS a requirement and if so, why isn't it installed upon initial server installation in GUI mode, by default? What if you don't want to use the server in FS role?

Thanks,

Samara Lynn

Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Update: After I ran BPA, the "BPA result refresh "error disappeared from the Server Manager dashboard. Note, I ran BPA (Local Server-->Start BPA Scan) after just installing the server and before adding any roles and features.
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:44 PM
  • I too, am receiving this error in a fresh install of Server 2012 as a VM on a Server 2008 R2 machine. I also don't understand why when I run BPA, I get as a result, "Error: The File Services Installation. Problem: The File Services are not installed." Is FS a requirement and if so, why isn't it installed upon initial server installation in GUI mode, by default? What if you don't want to use the server in FS role?

Thanks,

Samara Lynn

Hello Samara,

You can skip the File services installation, if don't need. Please refer to earlier discussions on this thread for more update.

Thx

Manish

• Proposed as answer by Praveen Yadav Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Praveen Yadav Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Click on All Servers

On right Side > scroll down

At Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) Tile

Click on "Tasks --> Start BPA Scan

When Scan get completed

CLick on Dashboard

On right Side

At Roles & Server Groups Tile

Click on BPA result of any role

Right click on error/warning > click on the Exclude Result

The RED Colour will automatically convert into GREEN

If it agin turn to red than only you have to click on Exclude Result only.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Lucas Janssen Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:55 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:35 AM
  • Hopefully, this will no longer be an issue in the final release.  Users shouldn't get warning errors about roles or features they have not installed.  These warnings should be reserved for features which are installed and not functioning correctly.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:51 PM