none
Activation Reset Question

Question

• First off, if this is not the right forum for this question, feel free to move it to where it belongs.

Now for the question:

I downloaded Windows Server 2012 Standard through Dreamspark, and I need to reset the license key as the HDD on the computer I installed it on was corrupted by a faulty installer, and the system won't boot.

I tried to restore the system, but that failed to work.

I do have a backup of the data I had on there, but no backup of the system itself.

What should I do to remedy this situation?

Friday, December 07, 2012 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the slmgr.vbs script is inclouded with Windows as part of the OS, and this script is used for managing and diagnosing the licensing status of MS products.
    reference for slmgr.vbs: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793433.aspx

If you are intending to reinstall Windows Server, and re-use the product key you've obtained, on the same hardware, you should be fine.
    If you are changing the hardware, you may encounter an "activatiosn are exhausted" situation. If so, you can perform activation via telephone.
    You can use the "slui.exe 3" (for online activation) and/or "slui.exe 4" (for telephone activation).
    [slui.exe is another MS licensing component which is built-in to Windows]

If you need activation help, call the activation centre by phone, and after selecting the most suitable option on your phone keypad, when prompted by the system to enter your product keys etc, do not respond. You will be connected to a person who can help. Explain the scenario (eg hardware failure, can't activate online, etc)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ztgreve Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:22 AM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you try from a cmd with run as administrator ;

slmgr.vbs - ipk product key
    slmgr.vbs /ato

sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:21 PM
  • I don't follow what you mean.

Let me try to clarify:

I have a single-use activation key for Windows Server 2012 Standard from Dreamspark, and I have already used the key to install the server once. A reinstall of a Windows Server 2008 R2 Server on an older computer (which eventually died when the power supply shorted out) failed on activation with a key already used message, so I assume I need to reset the usage count of the key.

I wasn't able to find much information on the slmgr.vbs script using Google, so what exactly is it?

Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

the slmgr.vbs script is inclouded with Windows as part of the OS, and this script is used for managing and diagnosing the licensing status of MS products.
    reference for slmgr.vbs: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793433.aspx

If you are intending to reinstall Windows Server, and re-use the product key you've obtained, on the same hardware, you should be fine.
    If you are changing the hardware, you may encounter an "activatiosn are exhausted" situation. If so, you can perform activation via telephone.
    You can use the "slui.exe 3" (for online activation) and/or "slui.exe 4" (for telephone activation).
    [slui.exe is another MS licensing component which is built-in to Windows]

If you need activation help, call the activation centre by phone, and after selecting the most suitable option on your phone keypad, when prompted by the system to enter your product keys etc, do not respond. You will be connected to a person who can help. Explain the scenario (eg hardware failure, can't activate online, etc)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ztgreve Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:22 AM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:37 AM

• I wasn't able to find much information on the slmgr.vbs script using Google, so what exactly is it?

Generally, the best place to start looking for technical information about Microsoft products is at TechNet instead of Google.  If you search TechNet for 'slmgr.vbs' you will find all sorts of information.

tim

Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I will try that.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Hello,

If you type only slmgr.vbs, all options are listed.

Give a try. 

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:30 PM