none
activate and Windows Server 2008 that is a virtual machine

Question

• We have a KMS server setup and ready to activate 2008 Server machines.  I was informed that 2008 Server virtual machines will not be applied towards the license count on the KMS server.  How do you activate a Windows 2008 Server machine that is a virtual machine then if the KMS server only licenses physical machines.  Do I have to call Microsoft and activate over the phone for every virtual machine? 
    RG
    Friday, November 21, 2008 7:26 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Systems operating in virtual machine (VM) environments can also be activated using KMS, but they do not contribute to the activation count.

As long as you activate no less than 5 Windows Server 2008 physical machines in your environment and your count is not smaller than 5, you can activate Windows Server 2008 virtual machines using KMS.

Hope it help.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:18 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Systems operating in virtual machine (VM) environments can also be activated using KMS, but they do not contribute to the activation count.

As long as you activate no less than 5 Windows Server 2008 physical machines in your environment and your count is not smaller than 5, you can activate Windows Server 2008 virtual machines using KMS.

Hope it help.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Hi Tim,

How does this apply if you don't have enough Physical machines in the environment?  Specifically, running Win Svr 2008 Ent VM's (4 instances) on 3rd party Virtualization Hosts?

Thanks,

T.J.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:53 PM
  • I think that you cannot use KMS. You'll need MAK (online or phone).

I found usefull (and, above all, easy) this article: "FINAL_Sean_Deuby_article.pdf" http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/5/f/45fb677a-c215-442e-afd0-419e08b6c5d\
    1/FINAL_Sean_Deuby_article.pdf

HIH
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:52 AM
  • I thought KMS wouldn't be possible in this case, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the info... appreciate it.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:37 PM