none
PowerShell ISE Intellisense

General discussion

• I got a chance to try out the new Windows PowerShell 2.0 ISE.

Is it just me, or did anyone else (who hasn't been keeping up with the betas, CTPs, etc.) think that we would be getting an autocompletion functionality that would work almost exactly like Visual Studio drop-down Intellisense. (Yes, I know there are GUIs not from Microsoft that will do this.)

I do hope that they will consider improving this in the future. While I'm a little disappointed by this, there still are (of course) a lot of good things in this release.

Monday, September 07, 2009 5:19 AM

All replies

• I think this is a must-have for a next PowerShell release. I don't understand why VS2005 has this but PowerShell has not.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 11:40 PM
  • There are several 3rd party options that support PowerShell intellisense:

PowerGUI is a free graphical environment from Quest Software. Its script editor supports intellisense. See http://powergui.org

PowerShell Plus from Idera is a superior environment that supports intellisense both in its script editor as well as at the console prompt. E.g. type the string "hello world" including the double quotes, type a dot and observe the String's methods like ToUpper and ToLower from the dropdown list. The Help facility combines all of the ISE help (cmdlets and about_ topics), extended with an excellent e-book (Tobias Weltner) and complete WMI documentation. Clicking a sample causes the code to be copied to the console, so you're one keypress away from experiencing the results. Single user license $199. See http://idera.com

Hope this helps.

~Hans Dingemans Global Knowledge - Netherlands
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I guess it was enough to listen carefully to what PowerShell team said about ISE. ;)
    It was to replace notepad.exe, not to do VS for PowerShell.
    That said: I would not mind if it had some goodies that some 3rd party tools have (including free ones, like PowerGUI script editor).

Idea behind it, if I understood correctly, was to concentrate on things that only PowerShell team can do rather than do everything but fail to provide us with some functionality in engine itself.

Hosts are only the way PowerShell is exposed to end user. If you don't like ISE, you can jump to PowerGUI, PoshConsole, PowerShellPlus and some others that are more like IDE than console with special abilities... ;)

Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:24 PM