none
windows could not update the computer's boot configuration - server 2008 install

Question

•  

Hi All,

I have been trying to install Windows Server 2008 x64 on our new Dell Poweredge 2950.  The Installation starts fine, but eventually it will stop and display the following error:

"windows could not update the computer's boot configuration"

After searching a few forums, I found a similar error on Windows Vista Upgrades, that required a change to some registry keys, but as this is a fresh install and I can not try that.

Has anyone else experienced this error?

FYI - I used the Dell systems management tool to create the RAID systems, but this would not pick up our installation Disk when it tried to install Server 2008 itself.  Installing direct from the disk did seem to work until the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Kind Regards

HallGS

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Howdy! I believe I have your solution, since I have been beating my head against this all week!

First, if your Installation and Maintenance DVD isn't version 5.4, get that ISO and make your new DVD. Get it here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R184026&SystemID=PWE_M600&servicetag=&os=LHS64&osl=en&deviceid=17861&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=36&fileid=251548

Second, when you use that disk to prepare your array for Windows 2008, do not install a utility partition! I accidentally left that off one install and got it to work because of it.

Third, the installation that the disk does left me with a splash screen and it never moved beyond that, so I hit F11 on bootup and chose to boot from the Windows 2008 DVD.

From there it should be smooth sailing! Good luck with your install.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Hello,

Just some supplement for your reference, please also check the BIOS settings and see if the boot hard disk has been set to the proper hard disk. Besides, you can try turning off all the boot devices from the BIOS except for the CD/DVD and the hard drive and see how it goes. It is reported that similar issues may occur when some boot devices interfere the installation.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:37 AM
  • In my case it was! It was pretty weird as when I went into repair mode, it saw the windows installation, but when running various repair commands, it didn't think there was a windows installation! At any rate, I reported this oddity to Dell engineers and they are trying it out in their labs to see why the utility partition was causing grief when installing.

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Hi HallGS,

I have a similar problem like yours. I just installed a Windows Server 2008 standard on a laptop on a new hard drive. Eevrything was OK until the logon screen came up. Every attempt to logon failed with this error:

X Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.

I think the above message is trash since this is a scratch install with no history. I even tried a copy of another Windows Server 2008 enterprise, same result, same error message.

Any help before losing some here?

Friday, May 02, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Password complexity is a different issue, are you using a complex password? Mix numbers, uppercase, lowercase and special characters. Minimum of six characters. "2_Fix it-now" would be a complex password. You can disable complex passwords in local or group policy, after getting in.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 3:42 AM
  • FYI: Complex password is defined as having three of the following 4 character types:

1. Uppercase letter (26 characters)

2. Lowercare letter (26 characters)

3. Number (0-9)

4. Special character ($%^&, etc. for a total of 32 characters)

You may not have three of more characters of you name elements. For example if you first name was Bill, you couldn't have "bil" as part of you login ID. MS specifically says, "By default, users cannot choose any part of their user name for their password and they cannot use all of the same characters as a password," but in practice I have seen that 2 characters from your name is possible. In your Domain Group Policies you can specify the minimum number of characters required, so you should consult with you admininstrator to see what is set for your domain.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 1:50 PM
  •  SnoBoy wrote:

First, if your Installation and Maintenance DVD isn't version 5.4, get that ISO and make your new DVD. Get it here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R184026&SystemID=PWE_M600&servicetag=&os=LHS64&osl=en&deviceid=17861&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=36&fileid=251548

Second, when you use that disk to prepare your array for Windows 2008, do not install a utility partition! I accidentally left that off one install and got it to work because of it.

Third, the installation that the disk does left me with a splash screen and it never moved beyond that, so I hit F11 on bootup and chose to boot from the Windows 2008 DVD.

Thanks SnoBoy, That worked a treat, although it took ages to download the file from Dell's website.

You definitely need to use the boot from disk option as the dell software wouldn’t recognise my install DVD.

Thanks

HallGS

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:52 AM
  • Hey all.  I'm trying to set up my companies server (Dell PowerEdge 2970) and came across the same error:

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration.  Installation cannot proceed". 

I tried SnoBoy's suggestions and re-ran Dell's setup and did not choose to install the Utility Partition.  I also checked and the CD says 5.40 on the label.  I'm also setting it up as a Raid 5 through Dell's utility.

Unfortunately, the same error occurs about 75% of the way through Vista installation.

Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:06 PM
  • I also tried disabling all other boot options in the BIOS other than CD/DVD and HDD.
    Friday, September 05, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Thanks SnoBoy,
    I was having the same problem but in my case, my server is not prepare for array (Dell PowerEdge SC1435) . I did not installed the Utility partition and using the DVD version 5.5 works good!

Thanks guys.
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:47 PM
  • I had the 5.5 DVD and my SBS 2008 install on a new Dell T300 with SAS6 RAID1 threw off the same error. I got rid of the Utility partion and the same thing happened, then I realized that after the Dell Installation Utility ran, I put the Windows CD in the drive and clicked FINISH. I shouldn't have done that. The small print states that you reboot w/o DVD then wait for the prompt to load the Windows DVD. Much better...

The old Server 2003 method required you to pop in the CD half way through the process and click Continue. I guess this confused me and underscores the point that you need to RTMFI!!! No matter how many times you run through something!
    MCP SBSC
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Howdy! I believe I have your solution, since I have been beating my head against this all week!

I had Systems Management Tools & Documentation V5.5 so I didnt need the download, but your tip on the utility partition was spot on and my installation worked.  Thanks Snoboy
    Monday, April 06, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Hi All,

I would just like to ask a question.

Just got my Laptop back from the repair center and the diagnosis of the problem was that there were a lot of Bad Sectors in my Hard Disk for it to freeze. So the people from the repair shop changed the Hard Disk and they where able to back up all the files that was in the Disk including the PRESARIO_RP System Recovery Files. They changed the Hard Disk to a FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G2 and right now the F11 Boot Button for that PRESARIO_RP System Recovery doesn't work now..

Can someone help me with this???

Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Hi All,

Just got my Laptop back from the repair center and the diagnosis of the problem was that there were a lot of Bad Sectors in my Hard Disk for it to freeze. So the people from the repair shop changed the Hard Disk and they where able to back up all the files that was in the Disk including the PRESARIO_RP System Recovery Files. They changed the Hard Disk to a FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G2 and right now the F11 Boot Button for that PRESARIO_RP System Recovery doesn't work now..

Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Download Gparted and delete all partitions. Load Vista from scratch. Works everytime.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:42 PM