none
Serge S

Question

• I have two HP DL360 G7 servers with 4 NIC each, and I configured them into 2 node Win 2008 R2 Core cluster.
    Hyper-V installed there and several VM have been created.

The NIC on each node configured in the following way:
    Port1 – management 10.10.20.101 (.102)
    Port2 and Port 3 – Team (designated for Virtual Network)
    source=static address=0.0.0.0 mask=0.0.0.0 gateway=0.0.0.0
    so, they have APIPA 169.254.xxx.xxx
    Port 4 – 2 VLANs created:
    192.168.30.101 (.102) for CSV and HB
    192.168.40.101 (.102) for Live Migration

Failover Cluster Validation report returns the following warning for this configuration but allows creating the cluster:

Node QATEST1.corp.scheduling.com has an IPv4 address 169.254.172.114 configured as Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) for adapter Team1_port23. This adapter will not be added to the Windows Failover Cluster. If the adapter is to be used by Windows Failover Cluster, the IPv4 properties of the adapter should be changed to allow assignment of a valid IP address that is not in the APIPA range. APIPA uses the range of 169.254.0.1 thru 169.245.255.254 with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

I created the External Virtual Network on the Team1 and connected each VM to this network, so the good thing that if any – Port 2 or Port 3 connection is failed, the VM will continue to connect to the network. The bad thing – if both Port 2 and Port 3 connections lost the failover DOES NOT occurred.

The question is: How to enforce cluster to failover all VMs to another node if both Team connections lost?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

It you use the teamed network adapters for Hyper-V virtual machines, it will not be used as Failover Cluster communications. So if both network adapters in the team is lost, it only affect the communication of the virtual machines attach to the virtual network.

By the way, if you use the teamed network adapters for Hyper-V virtual machines, you can uncheck the box “Allow management operating system to share this network adapter” when you create the External Virtual Network.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Thank you Vincent,

Yes, I unchecked the "Allow management..." box when I configured an external network.

And this is my question - how to enforce failover when both team connections are lost? (in other words, how to configure Hyper-V cluster for VM properly?)

I don't think the team causes this issue. I have another cluster with slightly different configuration:
    Port1 – management
    Port2 – designated for Virtual Network , static address=0.0.0.0 mask=0.0.0.0 gateway=0.0.0.0, so, they have APIPA 169.254.xxx.xxx
    Port 3 - CSV and HB
    Port 4 - Live Migration

The External network is configured on Port2, and all VMs use this network. If connection to Port2 network is lost the failover DOES NOT occur. This issue makes the cluster for VMs useless.

Serge S

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

If you create a Hyper-V Failover, then the failover works on the Hyper-V host level. In your scenario, you have the following options.

1. Increase the number of network adapters in the team.
    2. Set up a cluster between virtual machines.

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Thank you Vincent,

I found the same question two years ago

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/a31a3005-8f19-474f-b78e-d4be116e2588/

Unfortunately, it was no solution at that time.

Does something changed/improved in Hyper-V cluster since than or it is still complicated/impossible?

Thanks!

Serge S

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the following post.

Vincent Hu

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Thank you very much Vincent!

It looks like what I actually need.

Serge S

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:00 PM