none
HP 4050 PCL 6 print drivers keep failing on 2008 R2 print server

Question

• We have a two fold issue the print driver keeps asking to load.   We install it and when you re open the properties you get the same error.  If you delete the printer and re-add it it seems to work for a while until it goes nuts.

And the function of our (HP 4050 printers all 30 of them)  tend to corrupt at the same time.  We have gone on to the microsoft update catalog site and refreshed the driver only for x86.  I do not see a x64 version.   HP is usless in providing anything other than a Universal print driver (Which slows the system down.)

This has been a problem for some time since we moved off of the 2003 print servers.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you,

JB

• Edited by jbuyna Monday, March 04, 2013 4:14 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 4:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• We currently have the HPUD PCL 6 v.5.6 on our Windows 2003R2x86 print server with only one minor issues (annoyance).  Only thing we happen to see is that it can take a while to install a new print queue, but this is a known issue with the HPUDs.  Perhaps finding one queue and using that as your test queue might help?

We have well over 30 HP 4050s and over 100 HP printers on our server.  At least count we had approximately 650+ print queues on it without seeing any performance drop due to one driver.

Monday, March 04, 2013 4:59 PM
  • We have roughly 650 hp printers on this one print server.   It is highly odd that we encounter these types of errors.  A rebuild seems to work but, it's very inefficient.

Monday, March 04, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Perhaps it is a driver configuration issue on the 4050s.  I know we disable Mopier Mode by default as we have had issues with it and print jobs not working correctly.  Other than that, perhaps Allan can think of something.

Monday, March 04, 2013 7:52 PM
  • If you are getting an error that the driver is not installed when changing from one HP driver to the HP driver on Windows Update, this is a known issue with the driver.  HP recommends deleting the printer and reinstalling.  It's not my recommendation.   I suggest editing the HPTrayCount data in the registy.   I know HP.com has some drivers that also exhibit this devmode conversion issue but I have know idea which ones. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sk/winserverprint/thread/8618cca2-0b38-4304-997b-0c365150d3fb

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Monday, March 04, 2013 8:05 PM
    Answerer