none
stuck on "configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0% complete"

Question

• Problem: Windows Server 2008 Standard (not R2)
    Three updates applied then reboot. Updates:
    -July security update
    -Net Framework Security Update
    -Malicious Software removal.
    Windows Server 2008 Standard Service Pack 2 32 Bit,

I tried the following, nothing of these worked:
    -Go to last known good configuration
    -Methods described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us

-Go into safe mode and "Programs and Features", uninstall last night's
    three updates
    -Method described here under #11:
    http://www.commodore.ca/windows/server_2008/windows_server_2008_tips_tricks.htm

which involved C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS and delete (or rename PENDING.XML), and reboot

Still have problem
    Need your help!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am afraid that you have to rename the Pending.xml file:

1.  Insert the Windows Server 2008 installation DVD and restart the computer from the DVD.

Note During the startup process, when you are prompted to Press any Key to restart from the CD or DVD , press a key. 

2.  Select your language settings, and then click Next . 

3.  In the Setup window, click Repair your computer .

Note If you are asked whether you want to do a system restore, click No . 

4.  In the System Recovery Options window, select the operating system, and then click Next .

Note If the repair process detects problems starting Vista, it runs Startup Repair to automatically fix the problems. If this occurs, click Cancel , and then click View advanced options for system recovery and support . 

5.  In the System Recovery Options window, click Command Prompt . 

6.  Type the following commands and press ENTER after each command:

icacls c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml /grant administrators:F

del c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

reg load HKLM\BaseSystem c:\windows\system32\config\system

reg delete HKLM\BaseSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager /v SetupExecute

reg add HKLM\BaseSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager /v SetupExecute /t REG_MULTI_SZ 

7.  Type Exit and then press ENTER. 

8.  In the System Recovery Options window, click Restart . 

Can you boot into the computer now?

If these steps allow the computer to start but you encounter problems such as installing updates, install roles and features, you may need to back up your important data and then perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am afraid that you have to rename the Pending.xml file:

1.  Insert the Windows Server 2008 installation DVD and restart the computer from the DVD.

Note During the startup process, when you are prompted to Press any Key to restart from the CD or DVD , press a key. 

2.  Select your language settings, and then click Next . 

3.  In the Setup window, click Repair your computer .

Note If you are asked whether you want to do a system restore, click No . 

4.  In the System Recovery Options window, select the operating system, and then click Next .

Note If the repair process detects problems starting Vista, it runs Startup Repair to automatically fix the problems. If this occurs, click Cancel , and then click View advanced options for system recovery and support . 

5.  In the System Recovery Options window, click Command Prompt . 

6.  Type the following commands and press ENTER after each command:

icacls c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml /grant administrators:F

del c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

reg load HKLM\BaseSystem c:\windows\system32\config\system

reg delete HKLM\BaseSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager /v SetupExecute

reg add HKLM\BaseSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager /v SetupExecute /t REG_MULTI_SZ 

7.  Type Exit and then press ENTER. 

8.  In the System Recovery Options window, click Restart . 

Can you boot into the computer now?

If these steps allow the computer to start but you encounter problems such as installing updates, install roles and features, you may need to back up your important data and then perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:04 AM
  • This worked for me, now how do I identify the update that has been rebooting my server over and over again for the past 18 hours? And shouldn't there be some rollback script that would identify an issue and just roll back the update? Also, should I be concerned at all that an update has failed 97% of the way?

Thanks,

Bradley

Bradley
    Monday, October 18, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Hello there, I tried attempting this and it didn't work for me. I received "invalid syntax see reg delete \? for help" when I was attempting step 6.

A workaround that I had was reboot the system with the network cable disconnected (or disabled like I had in VMware) and the computer will start up. I thought that I read somewhere someone had mentioned that it was a problem with the TCPIP v6 waiting to start? It was bizzare but it worked for me. I don't know a solution though.

Any thoughts on your work around with the step 6 syntax problem?

Thank you!
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Unplugged the network cables then rebooted worked for us.

Need to let it fully load into Windows before plugging them in.

Thank you!

• Edited by AndyPzr Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:08 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Tim,

After performing these steps, the server is now in a constant reboot loop without any error messages.  I cannot boot into safe mode, AD restore mode, or normally.  I have attempted startup repair and sfc /scannow.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Proposed as answer by RobRussell Monday, November 18, 2013 7:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RobRussell Monday, November 18, 2013 7:33 AM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 7:52 PM