none
How many concurrent users are you running on your server?

General discussion

• I'm currently reading the "Capacity Planning for RD Session Host..." docx from Microsoft and while it's a great resource, I want to ask any who will respond:

How many concurrent users are you getting on your physical systems in real world use?

And what type of server nodes are they?

Thanks in advance to any who share their experiences.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:15 PM

All replies

• Might be easier to give a useful comparison if you could give a bit of background on what it is you're hoping to run in your RDS environment.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Might be easier to give a useful comparison if you could give a bit of background on what it is you're hoping to run in your RDS environment.

based on some of the searches I've done, I don't see people running more than 30-45 users on a box. That seems like a low number and not very cost effective. I was just curious what people are running here

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Hi 

If you are using Windows server 2008 R2 as a RDS host then you can simply try TSadmin.msc and you can get all information whatever you required related to users.

Regards

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:56 PM
  • One of ours currently has about 60 users logged in.  All they run is our point-of-sale application.  Dual Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4 GHz and 24 Gig of RAM.  CPU usage is usually under 10% and physical memory is about 40% used.  Our goal is 120 users.
    Monday, July 23, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Hello,

We run physical servers (dual 6 core processors with 48GB RAM and local 15K HDDs), getting 150 concurrent running full desktop.  We also use AppSense Performance Manager which helps.

Regards

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:42 PM
  • One of ours currently has about 60 users logged in.  All they run is our point-of-sale application.  Dual Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4 GHz and 24 Gig of RAM.  CPU usage is usually under 10% and physical memory is about 40% used.  Our goal is 120 users.

Are you running any local attached disk in the terminal server in this configuration? If so, what type and how much?

Thank you!

• Edited by edjin Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hello,

We run physical servers (dual 6 core processors with 48GB RAM and local 15K HDDs), getting 150 concurrent running full desktop.  We also use AppSense Performance Manager which helps.

Regards

Great to hear! How many 15K spindles are you providing the terminal server?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:12 PM
  • edjin,

We have 2 disks running RAID0 - so we get approximatly 320iops of performance from this setup which is more than enough for our application set.

We looked at SSD and SAN attached but found that these didnt increase the load we could achieve.

Regards

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:22 PM

Are you running any local attached disk in the terminal server in this configuration? If so, what type and how much?

Thank you!

We have 2 X 750 GB 7200 RPM Sata Drives in each box which are mirrored.  Just to run the operating system and the application - and it is full desktop, not remote-app.

Steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:42 PM