none
Configuring Windows 7 as an NTP server

Question

• I have 4 computers in a workgroup network, all running Windows 7 Proffessional.  I would like to set one of the computers up as a the NTP server for the other clients so that log times match up.  I have walked through Group Policy and set the first client to "ntp server enabled".  Next I made sure that the windows time service was enabled on the machine I chose to be the server as well as all the clients.  I then went to each subsequent machine and ran gpedit to put the correct IP address for the time server and set the NTP client to enabled.  When I try to force a time update I get a message saying no time data was available.  

If I change the clients' NTP server address back to the default windows time server, the clients are able to sync, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the clients, unless they need to be configured differently to use an IP address instead of a Domain name or URL.  I have scoured the internet looking for a solution but have not come across anything. 

I attempted to use NET USE to define a set username to use when connecting to the "server" (FSAC1) the commands i entered are as follows

NET USE \\FSAC1\IPC$ password

NET USE \\FSAC1\IPC$ \user:username

That did not seem to have any effect.

The firewall is turned off on all of the machines to remove that as a variable.

UAC is on on all 4 machines.

the machines are all set for static IP addresses

This is, and will remain a workgroup network with no Server.

Any help from anyone that has come across this issue would be greatly appreciated.  I know its got to be some setting that I am missing, but i can't figure out what.

Thanks,

Alan

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Yshwartzou, 

According to my test,  you may need to add two steps in NTP server end, and so no change is needed in client.
         1.Disabled NTP client in  Group Policy
             Run “gpupdate /force”
         2.Locate registry entry:
             HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags 
             Change the value from 10 to 5    (it means to use local CMOS time clock, KB314054)
             Run “net stop w32time && net start w32time”
          Checking on NTP server,
              You could use command “w32tm /query /configuration”  to view if not show “NtpClient <Local>”
          Checking on NTP client ,
              You could use command “w32tm /resync” and “w32tm /query /source” to show if successful
    Regards, Rick Tan
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Yshwartzou, 

According to my test,  you may need to add two steps in NTP server end, and so no change is needed in client.
         1.Disabled NTP client in  Group Policy
             Run “gpupdate /force”
         2.Locate registry entry:
             HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags 
             Change the value from 10 to 5    (it means to use local CMOS time clock, KB314054)
             Run “net stop w32time && net start w32time”
          Checking on NTP server,
              You could use command “w32tm /query /configuration”  to view if not show “NtpClient <Local>”
          Checking on NTP client ,
              You could use command “w32tm /resync” and “w32tm /query /source” to show if successful
    Regards, Rick Tan
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Reply to an old post but the info shared below could help people needing more details:

Have been using a Windows 7 Professional PC as a NTP server to synchronize the local time in two embedded devices: one running Windows XPe and another Windows CE(NTP client as part of the embedded App). All on a wired LAN.

The Win 7 PC was configured as follows:

1.  In the 'Services' window(part of Administrative Tools) Stop the 'Windows Time' service if already running. The 'Startup Type' could be set as Manual or Automatic depending on the user needs.

2.  In the Registry Editor following changes to be made under the Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time:

** Config -> AnnounceFlags = 5.

** HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer -> Enabled = 1.

3. Start the 'Windows Time' service in the  'Services' window(part of Administrative Tools).

That's it.

In the 'Date & Time Properties' -> 'Internet Time' tab  menu of the Windows XPe device supplying the IP address of the Windows 7 PC and clicking on the 'Update Now' button results in a NTP 'symmetric active' request to which the PC responds with the 'server' response(local PC Date&time).

The Windows CE device sends a simple NTP 'client' request to which the PC responds again properly with the 'server' response.

Just for test purpose used another Windows Vista PC as a NTP CLient. This also sent a NTP 'client' request and received a  'server' response from Windows7 PC.

The Windows 7 PC continues to synchronize it's own Date&time with the Internet Time Server 'time.windows.com'(default setting).

Luckily did not face any problems with the PCs anti-virus Firewalls or any Windows7 specific issue for doing the above.

• Proposed as answer by markocms Friday, March 02, 2012 9:55 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:41 PM
  • 4. Poke a hole in Windows Firewall UDP 123 Inbound.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Yshwartzou, I would recommend you to take a look at this time server\client solution from the box, it contains both ntp/sntp server and client apps. Very easy to deploy and use tool.
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:14 PM