none
Can .net 3.5 be packed in Windows 8 OS, not downloaded from Internet?

Question

• Some software and Windows components depend on .net framework 3.5. If we cannot download it from Internet becasue of policy or downloading speed is very slow, we should be able to install it offline without Windows 8 installation image. just like what Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 do.

And it is also a burden for the 3rd party Software Vendor. We must pack .net 3.5 source file from OS installation image into the our product. It will definitely increase the sizeo of our product.

Can Microsoft resolve this problem in the next build?

Thanks,

Jacky

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please perform the following steps:

1. Insert a Windows Server 8 Beta installation to your DVD rom.
    2. Run the following command in an elevated CMD prompt command line:

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /featurename:NetFx3ServerFeatures /Source:X:\sources\sxs
    Note: X: is the drive letter of DVD drive on the computer, adjust it accordingly.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi, Jacky,

I have a response here that was posted on the .NET Blog:

We recognize that there’s an important set of users that need .NET 3.5 on Windows 8 Customer Preview and that will not be able to access Windows Update as they are behind corporate firewalls. For these users we recommend that their IT department distribute a version of Windows 8 that includes .NET 3.5 along with the other changes they make to the OS before distributing it. This can be done with the DISM image manipulation tool (following the instructions here) which is shipped with Windows 8 and as part of the Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK).

I understand that it's inconvenient to ask your customer to mount the Windows Server 8 Beta ISO. Would creating a Wndows Image file (.WIM) with .NET Framework 3.5 installed on the WIM work for you?

Thank you,
    Gaby
    Technical writer, Windows Server

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /featurename:NetFx3ServerFeatures /Source:X:\sources\sxs
    Note: X: is the drive letter of DVD drive on the computer, adjust it accordingly.

Vincent Hu

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi, Vincent,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The problem here is that we don't want to ask customer to mount the Windows Server 8 Beta ISO. We don't want to pack the X:\sources\sxs directory into our product, because this will increase 275M size of our product installation package.

Do you know Microsoft will package this directory after OS is installed, just like what Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 do? In Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2, if we install .net framework 3.5, we don't need to mount the OS installation ISO. We only need to add it in "Adding Features" panel.

Thanks,

Jacky

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Hi, Jacky,

I have a response here that was posted on the .NET Blog:

We recognize that there’s an important set of users that need .NET 3.5 on Windows 8 Customer Preview and that will not be able to access Windows Update as they are behind corporate firewalls. For these users we recommend that their IT department distribute a version of Windows 8 that includes .NET 3.5 along with the other changes they make to the OS before distributing it. This can be done with the DISM image manipulation tool (following the instructions here) which is shipped with Windows 8 and as part of the Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK).

I understand that it's inconvenient to ask your customer to mount the Windows Server 8 Beta ISO. Would creating a Wndows Image file (.WIM) with .NET Framework 3.5 installed on the WIM work for you?

Thank you,
    Gaby
    Technical writer, Windows Server

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Hi, Gaby,

The OS is not installed by us. Customers do that themself. We cannot ask customers to create the .WIM to install. I think this is impossible.

Will Windows 8 RTM / GA version behaves the same as Beta on the .net framework 3.5 installation? I meant, is it possible to change back the behavior like Windows 2008 / R2 in the future release?

Thanks,

Jacky

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Hi,

I understand your situation. However, at this moment, you can use the method I provided in my last reply as a workaround.

By the way, as you may know, both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases. Thanks for your understanding.

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi, Vincent,

Got you. I am a member in Windows 8 TAP. And I found there is no way to provide feedback. Do you know is there any way to provide suggestion and feedback to the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team?

Thank you very much for your support.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

Vincent Hu

Hi Vincent ,

I have tried the way you have explained   , the Beta windows  consumer preview  Build

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /featurename:NetFx3ServerFeatures /Source:D:\sources\sxs

its still failing   with error: 0x800f080c

is there any clue what and how should i can install 3.5

here is the Dism Log File   Log FIle

Thanks

• Edited by 7Viper Monday, April 23, 2012 4:56 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

I am also facing the same problem. Unable to install the .NET framework 3.5 and after trying your solution it is showing this kind of error.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I am running the Windows8 Consumer preview in the Virtual Machine.

Regards, Ldm_Metro

• Edited by Ldm_Metro Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:48 AM .
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:45 AM
  • I think, you can use the Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /featurename:NetFx3 /Source:X:\sources\sxs command is ok for

installing the framework, you must

•  run cmd command under administrative privileges,
    •  after  inserting the windows CD as source
    • X would be dvd drive/cd drive

regards,

Md. Showkot Ali

Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:44 AM