none
Windows Server 2008 x64 - Move pagefile to another drive. Still need a pagefile on boot drive?

Question

• I have been looking in the forums and on the web in general about moving the pagefile of my Windows Server 2008 x64 machine to another drive rather than having it on my boot (C) drive which is running out of space. I have 10GB of memory on the machine and the pagefile is very large. It is a VMWare virtual machine if that matters any.

I see that I can do this quite easily by just turning off the paging file for my boot drive and turning it on for the other drive. However I see a significant number of people saying to keep a small pagefile on your boot drive as well. Sometimes, I see a reason as it is needed for memory dump files in case of a system crash, other times no reason given.

I see that in Windows Server 2008 you can specify a dedicated memory dump file to use (and its size) by setting some registry entries so that the pagefile is not used at all for memory dumps: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=969028

Bottom line is: Given the above, do I still need to have a small pagefile on the boot drive anyways?

Thanks! Nick

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:45 PM

Answers

• Nick, I kind of think you've answered your own question:  No, you don't need a paging file on your C: drive at all.  I quote from the article you referred to:

"In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, to get a Memory Dump, the paging file does not have to be on the same partition as the partition on which the operating system is installed as was the requirements of previous versions. "

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:30 PM

All replies

• Check this similar article.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I have seen that post before. It doesn't really help me to answer my bottom line question.

Nick

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Nick, I kind of think you've answered your own question:  No, you don't need a paging file on your C: drive at all.  I quote from the article you referred to:

"In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, to get a Memory Dump, the paging file does not have to be on the same partition as the partition on which the operating system is installed as was the requirements of previous versions. "

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:30 PM