.NET Framework 3.5.1 not installed/available on Windows Server 2008 R2 causing SQL Server 2008 install failure

Question

• I have a new server onto which I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I have not been successful at installing SQL Server 2008 Enterprise on it. After many attempts, I continue to get the following error message:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installation has failed.
            SQL Server 2008 setup requires .NET Framework 3.5 to be installed.

Some notes:

• I got my copies of Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 Enterprise through my MSDN subscription.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, I notice that the .NET Framework 3.5.1 is not installed and is not available as a feature to add through the Programs and Features control panel.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, Server Manager does not list .NET Framework 3.5.1 as a feature to add in the Add Features Wizard. What is listed, however, is: “.NET Framework 3.0 Features”.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, I run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and find 1 entry available for verification… Framework 2.0.
    • After adding the Framework 3.0 feature through Server Manager, the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool lists 2 entries available for verification… Framework 2.0 and Framework 3.0.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, neither “v3.0” nor “v3.5” is listed in the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework” but “v2.0.50727” is listed.
    • After installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, “v3.0” and “v3.0 SP1” now appear in this key.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, neither “v3.0” nor “v3.5” is listed in the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP” but “v2.0.50727” is listed.
    • After installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, “v3.0” and “v3.5” now appear in this key.

Upon starting the SQL Server setup, it checks for pre-reqs and says it requires .NET Framework and an updated Windows Installer to be installed. Upon clicking OK, it starts the pre-req setup process and immediately fails while attempting to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1… thus my error message above.

Searching the net, I found some suggestions, but none have worked to enable 3.5.1 to appear installed and available… and none have worked to get SQL Server setup to run. I have tried the following:

•  tried re-installing WinServer 2008 R2 numerous times thinking perhaps something was missed during the setup process. Nothing new installed.
    • installed .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. After completion, still no “3.5.1” appears as an available feature to add in Server Manager. In Programs and Features control panel, “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5” does appear as an installed feature, available for Unistall/Change.
    • After installing .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, I run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and find 3 entries available for verification… Framework 2.0, Framework 3.0 and Framework 3.5… but no Framework 3.5.1. The log from this tool says that 3.5 service pack 1 (Framework v3.5.1) is not installed.
    •  tried installing the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for Windows Vista x86, and Windows Server 2008 x86. This includes 3 separate update steps in a specific order. This approach fails with the following messages:
    • The update does not apply to your system
    • None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup.
    •  tried installing SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 to get the pre-reqs installed… then install SQL Server… and then the service pack again afterwards. This approach fails with the following message:
    • SQL Server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to be installed.

I thought that .NET Framework 2.0 was already installed with WinServer 2008 R2.

These approaches included numerous reboots scattered within. I've read accounts of 3.5.1 appearing as the feature to addd via Server Manager. Any ideas on getting Framework 3.5.1 available on my machine would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Randolph

Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

I've had success. A link in a reply in the SQL Server Setup & Upgrade forum led me to a discovery that SQL Server 2008 won't install on checked builds of Windows Server 2008. And sure enough, after checking my iso, that's exactly what I had... a download from some time ago.

After re-installing Windows with a release build, Server Manager still did not list .NET 3.5.1... is still lists
    “.NET Framework 3.0 Features” as a feature to add or remove. However, Programs and Features control panel now lists ."NET Framework 3.5 SP1along with a host of other stuff SQL Server just installed, now all available for Uninstall, Change or Repair. Quickly enabling the web server role and throwing a couple of web services out there (that require .NET 3.5.1) and accessing them from a client further confirms all seems to be working. So I'll call it 5 by 5 for now.

Once again the forums have come to the rescue. Life on the edge... I think I'm downloading too much (LoL)... and it's time for a vacation.

Thanks and happy programming everyone.

- Randolph

• Marked as answer by rwonthego Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:44 AM

All replies

• I have a new server onto which I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I have not been successful at installing SQL Server 2008 Enterprise on it. After many attempts, I continue to get the following error message:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installation has failed.
            SQL Server 2008 setup requires .NET Framework 3.5 to be installed.

Some notes:

• I got my copies of Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 Enterprise through my MSDN subscription.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, I notice that the .NET Framework 3.5.1 is not installed and is not available as a feature to add through the Programs and Features control panel.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, Server Manager does not list .NET Framework 3.5.1 as a feature to add in the Add Features Wizard. What is listed, however, is: “.NET Framework 3.0 Features”.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, I run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and find 1 entry available for verification… Framework 2.0.
    • After adding the Framework 3.0 feature through Server Manager, the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool lists 2 entries available for verification… Framework 2.0 and Framework 3.0.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, neither “v3.0” nor “v3.5” is listed in the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework” but “v2.0.50727” is listed.
    • After installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, “v3.0” and “v3.0 SP1” now appear in this key.
    • Upon first installing WinServer2008 R2, neither “v3.0” nor “v3.5” is listed in the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP” but “v2.0.50727” is listed.
    • After installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, “v3.0” and “v3.5” now appear in this key.

Upon starting the SQL Server setup, it checks for pre-reqs and says it requires .NET Framework and an updated Windows Installer to be installed. Upon clicking OK, it starts the pre-req setup process and immediately fails while attempting to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1… thus my error message above.

Searching the net, I found some suggestions, but none have worked to enable 3.5.1 to appear installed and available… and none have worked to get SQL Server setup to run. I have tried the following:

•  tried re-installing WinServer 2008 R2 numerous times thinking perhaps something was missed during the setup process. Nothing new installed.
    • installed .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. After completion, still no “3.5.1” appears as an available feature to add in Server Manager. In Programs and Features control panel, “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5” does appear as an installed feature, available for Unistall/Change.
    • After installing .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, I run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and find 3 entries available for verification… Framework 2.0, Framework 3.0 and Framework 3.5… but no Framework 3.5.1. The log from this tool says that 3.5 service pack 1 (Framework v3.5.1) is not installed.
    •  tried installing the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for Windows Vista x86, and Windows Server 2008 x86. This includes 3 separate update steps in a specific order. This approach fails with the following messages:
    • None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup.
    •  tried installing SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 to get the pre-reqs installed… then install SQL Server… and then the service pack again afterwards. This approach fails with the following message:
    • SQL Server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to be installed.

I thought that .NET Framework 2.0 was already installed with WinServer 2008 R2.

These approaches included numerous reboots scattered within. I've read accounts of 3.5.1 appearing as the feature to addd via Server Manager. Any ideas on getting Framework 3.5.1 available on my machine would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Randolph

I have the same problem trying to install SQL Server Management Studio, it asks me, after a lot of research, to install .NET FRamework, I tried to install every one of the versions of .NET FRamework (just to see if one of them could resolve the problem) and I couldn't install none of them. 
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:35 PM
  •   On my R2 server, the top entry in Add Features under Server Manager is .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features. It is shown as installed. I guess that it was installed automatically when Forefront TMG installed SQL Server.

Bill
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

As Windows Server 2008 R2 is a 64 bit ONLY operation system, please try to install the following .Net Framework 3.5.1 updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&DisplayLang=en

Regards,
    Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Hello everyone,

I've had success. A link in a reply in the SQL Server Setup & Upgrade forum led me to a discovery that SQL Server 2008 won't install on checked builds of Windows Server 2008. And sure enough, after checking my iso, that's exactly what I had... a download from some time ago.

After re-installing Windows with a release build, Server Manager still did not list .NET 3.5.1... is still lists
    “.NET Framework 3.0 Features” as a feature to add or remove. However, Programs and Features control panel now lists ."NET Framework 3.5 SP1along with a host of other stuff SQL Server just installed, now all available for Uninstall, Change or Repair. Quickly enabling the web server role and throwing a couple of web services out there (that require .NET 3.5.1) and accessing them from a client further confirms all seems to be working. So I'll call it 5 by 5 for now.

Once again the forums have come to the rescue. Life on the edge... I think I'm downloading too much (LoL)... and it's time for a vacation.

Thanks and happy programming everyone.

- Randolph

• Marked as answer by rwonthego Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:44 AM
  • I solved this problem by adding the application role to windows 2008 x64 (mine is Standard Edition).  That installs the necessary .NET component.  You must then install the provided SQL Server 2008 SP1 version of the software from Microsoft (just google it).  You will be allowed to install the version of SQL you want to install via the installation wizard. It appears that pre-SQL SP1 CDs are pretty much useless (except. of course, that the case they come in has your product key).  Hope this helps!!!

-Nathalie

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:37 AM