none
Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster RPC issues

Question

• Good morning, All.

Having issues with Exchange 2010 DAG and failover cluster.

Started with two mailbox servers with no DAG. Created a DAG on MB01 with a Fileshare Witness on server HT01 with the path C:\TILDAG1Witness. The DAG was successfully created. The file share directory was also successfully created on HT01 and shared. Next, I added MB01 to the DAG using the GUI. This process installed 2008 Failover Clustering on MB01. After the add was complete I could see (and manage) the failover cluster on MB01. I attempted to add MB02 to the DAG (which would have installed failover clsutering on MB02) and the GUI reported that it could not contact the Cluster Service on MB01. Checked cluster service on MB01 and it was stopped (but set to automatic). Attempted to start with no luck. Events 1090, 7024 and 7031 are logged:

1090:
    The cluster service cannot be started. An attempt to read configuration data fromt he Windows registry failed with error '2'. Please use the Failover Cluster Management snap-in to ensure that this machine is a member of a cluster.

7024:
    The cluster service service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot find the file specified.

7031:
    The Cluster Service terminated unexpectedly. IT has done this 336 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 960000 miliseconds: Restart the service

I have attempted to look at the failover cluster manager. It shows that failover clustering is isntalled but will not let me manage a cluster. Presumably this is because cluster services are not started. I attempt to remove the failover cluster feature with no luck. The GUI reports that I cannot do so because there is still at least 1 node in the cluster. I attempt to evict  MB01 from the cluster using Cluster node /evict and Cluster node /force on the command line which both fail with RPC errors. I attempt to perform a Cluster /destroy which fails with RPC errors. I do a Cluster /List and see that there are two clusters TILDAG and TILDAG1 in the list. This is probably a result of creating the first DAG (TILDAG) and then removing it....then creating the second DAG (TILDAG1).

For the life of me I cannot solve this problem. I cannot remove the DAG because of the cluster and I cannot remove the cluster because of the node and I cannot remove the node because of RPC. I need some help here!

Thank you!

Josh
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:01 PM

Answers