print from hyper-v virtual machine?

Question

• In my hyper-v virtual machine, can I print document from this vm  and how to set up printer either from network or from local host OS? I hope that one expert can help me to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:51 PM

Answers

• If you use the VM through the Hyper-V or SCVMM console you need to install the printer within the OS of the VM (this would need to be a network printer).

If you use RDP to connect to the VM directly you can use printer redirection through RDP.
    http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/07/remoting-devices-into-hyper-v-child.html

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Marked as answer by jeff waldey Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:32 PM
  • You must get to the console of the VM and log in to the VM, then add a printer.
    BTW - printers are profile specific.

How a printer is added within the operating system of the VM depends on the OS in that VM.

This has nothing to do with the hypervisor.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

As Brian mentioned, add a printer to a VM has nothing to do with Hyper-V. Now just think the VM is a normal computer and you can add a network printer as what you did on a physical computer.

By the way, search on the internet with “how to add a network printer” and you will find lots of guides.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:43 AM

All replies

• If you use the VM through the Hyper-V or SCVMM console you need to install the printer within the OS of the VM (this would need to be a network printer).

If you use RDP to connect to the VM directly you can use printer redirection through RDP.
    http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/07/remoting-devices-into-hyper-v-child.html

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi, thank you for your answer.

Can you give me the detailed step for how to set up a network printer (the first solution)?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:39 PM
  • You must get to the console of the VM and log in to the VM, then add a printer.
    BTW - printers are profile specific.

How a printer is added within the operating system of the VM depends on the OS in that VM.

This has nothing to do with the hypervisor.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

As Brian mentioned, add a printer to a VM has nothing to do with Hyper-V. Now just think the VM is a normal computer and you can add a network printer as what you did on a physical computer.

By the way, search on the internet with “how to add a network printer” and you will find lots of guides.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:43 AM