none
How to create a local domain name

Question

• Hi,

Just for learning purposes, how do i create a local domain name example: batanyah.com on my on small lan network?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:11 PM

Answers

• batanyah,

If you are installing a server OS such as windows server 2003/2008. You will need to install Active Directory or Active Directory services (2008). When you install AD, it will ask you if this is the first server in the domain/forest. You will say yes and it will ask you to put in the domain name that you want such as batanyah.com.

Miller-IT

• Marked as answer by batanyah Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:25 PM

All replies

• batanyah,

If you are installing a server OS such as windows server 2003/2008. You will need to install Active Directory or Active Directory services (2008). When you install AD, it will ask you if this is the first server in the domain/forest. You will say yes and it will ask you to put in the domain name that you want such as batanyah.com.

Miller-IT

• Marked as answer by batanyah Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:25 PM
  • thank you for the response,

will batanyah.com be accesible on the local area network if i would add a web server role?

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:48 PM
  • batanyah

Yes, that will be your local domain name (internal) for when joining other desktops/workstations and/or server to the domain.

A word of caution, DO NOT make your (internal) domain name the same as your external domain name. If you are going to have a website put up, have that be batanyah.com and your internal lan be batanyah.local (or something like that).

Miller-IT
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:08 PM