2008R2 check version

Question

• apparently I got the wrong Image for installing 2008R2.  I am told I may have a "check version".  I haven't found anywhere that it even tells me this.  so I have 2 questions:

1) how to know?

2) how to switch it to the prodection version I intended to install?

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:53 PM

Answers

• OK this is how you can tell if you have the checked version or not.

clear your system log in event viewer and restart the server:

Look for event id 6009

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 6.01. 7600  Multiprocessor Free: is the normal version

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 6.01. 7600  Multiprocessor Checked: is the checked version

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:49 AM

All replies

• Where did you get this "wrong image" from?  Download msdn / technet or retail?  Use a branded install?  What is causing the problem for you to think this is a "wrong image".  Did it install correctly, has it been performing bad, etc?
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi,

I didn’t think I get your concern.

If you download the wrong image of Windows Server 2008 R2, you may need to download the correct one again.

By the way, please detailed your environment, so we can perform the further research.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, April 08, 2010 3:43 AM
  • from CMD prompt type: ver to check what version of windows you have.

right click on my computer and go to properties, you can see what edition of windows you have.

there is no what to change your edition of windows that i know of once you have installed it, you will have to load a new OS.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:36 AM
  • The way I understand it, a checked version is a developer version that intentionaly crashes whenever a conflict occurs.  I don't want my server to crash that often, so I would like to change it to the normal version.  If when you say just download the correct version you mean I can just install correct over the bad, that would be great, but I am not sure that is what you are saying.  Obviously if all I am worried about is the version on a DVD I would just get the correct version on a DVD.

I have one sever running 2008R2.  I have been setting it up with AD and then migrating users into the new domain.  The server just recently crashed a few times and in looking for the reason found it possibly is a "checked version".  Before yesterday, I did not know what a checked version was.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:29 AM
  • If you have the Debug version installed you will have to re-install with a normal version. I would suggest you check what build you have installed so we can confirm if you need to re-load or not. I am not aware of any in place upgrade to the normal version.

If you do have the checked version:

You could install another DC with the correct version and AD will replicate & you can then decommission the checked version and re-load with a normal version.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I see 6.1.7600 Build 7600

I was starting to conclude the method you described will be the way to fix this, but it sounds so much easier in your one sentence than in my thoughts...

Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:12 PM
  • So does anyone know how to tell if I have installed a checked or debug version? 
    Friday, April 09, 2010 12:00 PM

• I am told I may have a "check version". How did you know it's a "check version"?

By the way, there should be some keywords in the file name of the image file you download, check that. And if you knew you got a wrong version, why not just download the correct one?

I understand maybe you want to dig, but you make things complex. I guess the developers in Microsoft know how to identify it, try to call them.
    Friday, April 09, 2010 4:57 PM
  • OK this is how you can tell if you have the checked version or not.

clear your system log in event viewer and restart the server:

Look for event id 6009

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 6.01. 7600  Multiprocessor Free: is the normal version

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 6.01. 7600  Multiprocessor Checked: is the checked version

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

Run systeminfo in a CMD prompt line you will get the same result such as “OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free”

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, April 12, 2010 5:40 AM