none
RD web access question and how to show apps installed on different rdsh boxes in farm.

Question

• Simple setup with 4 servers.

3x boxes running RDSH and RD Web Access

1x box running RD Licensing and RD Connection Broker

farm.domain.com points to the 3 RDSH boxes. Clients are connecting to farm.domain.com/rdweb

RDSH1 has Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel and CustomApp1
    RDSH2 has Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel and CustomApp2
    RDSH3 has Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel and CustomApp3

The problem is, if the rdweb site if configured to use the connection broker then users only see the office apps and the 1 customapp from the rdsh box they're directed to.
    If the rdweb site if configured to use all 3 rdsh hosts as the source then i get multiple instances of the same app showing.

How do i show icons for all apps but only one 1 icon for each of the office apps?

Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In general, servers that are a member of a RDS Farm and participating in RD Connection Broker load balancing are intended to serve the same set of applications.  When a user connects to a published remoteapp located on a farm, they are logically connecting to the farm, not an individual server.  The decision as to which server they will connect to is made by the connection broker based on current load on each server and whether or not the user already has an existing session on one of the farm members.

One typical use of a farm is to publish a set of applications to a substantial number of users by having more than enough servers to support normal loads.  If a server fails or needs to be taken down for maintenance, users will be connected to the other member servers (and be able to use their apps).  If a server went down and it was the only one that had a certain application, then this would not work.  The other thing to consider is that if all applications are not on each server then you cannot freely load-balance across all servers.

Based on the information given you need to adjust your configuration.  For example, perhaps you should have all three servers have Office + all three CustomApps if possible.  Keep in mind you may be able to use App-V if your CustomApps do not behave well when installed on the same server.  RDS CALs now include App-V license.

Another option would be to have three RDSH servers that are not a member of a farm.  In this scenario you would manually assign the RemoteApps on each server to groups of users in the Properties of each RemoteApp.  In effect you are hard-coding which server you want each user to connect to.  You lose the benefits of dynamic load-balancing, but gain the ability to have a different mix of applications loaded on each server, delivered via RDWeb.  For this the RDWeb source can be the three servers separated by semicolons.  Naturally you would also need to change the deployment settings on each server to reflect the server name instead of the farm name.

There are many different possibilities.  Hopefully what I have written above will give you ideas.

Thanks.

-TP
    Monday, March 01, 2010 11:21 AM

All replies

• I am in the same boat, someone please advice.  I have on my Session Broker set up my farm name as the application source.  and on the RDSH boxes under Host server settings I put the farm name as the server name.  but I get results similar to the what is explained above.
    Adam
    Monday, March 01, 2010 3:29 AM
  • Hello,

I think you dismiss the session broker server. In this case the session broker server is enumerating the webinterface and can only show application published on all servers. Have the WebAccess server look at all server by adding them in the WebAcces config page and try again.

You will not have the benefit of load balancing for applications of the office suite but will get all applications.

Regards Robert
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

In general, servers that are a member of a RDS Farm and participating in RD Connection Broker load balancing are intended to serve the same set of applications.  When a user connects to a published remoteapp located on a farm, they are logically connecting to the farm, not an individual server.  The decision as to which server they will connect to is made by the connection broker based on current load on each server and whether or not the user already has an existing session on one of the farm members.

One typical use of a farm is to publish a set of applications to a substantial number of users by having more than enough servers to support normal loads.  If a server fails or needs to be taken down for maintenance, users will be connected to the other member servers (and be able to use their apps).  If a server went down and it was the only one that had a certain application, then this would not work.  The other thing to consider is that if all applications are not on each server then you cannot freely load-balance across all servers.

Based on the information given you need to adjust your configuration.  For example, perhaps you should have all three servers have Office + all three CustomApps if possible.  Keep in mind you may be able to use App-V if your CustomApps do not behave well when installed on the same server.  RDS CALs now include App-V license.

Another option would be to have three RDSH servers that are not a member of a farm.  In this scenario you would manually assign the RemoteApps on each server to groups of users in the Properties of each RemoteApp.  In effect you are hard-coding which server you want each user to connect to.  You lose the benefits of dynamic load-balancing, but gain the ability to have a different mix of applications loaded on each server, delivered via RDWeb.  For this the RDWeb source can be the three servers separated by semicolons.  Naturally you would also need to change the deployment settings on each server to reflect the server name instead of the farm name.

There are many different possibilities.  Hopefully what I have written above will give you ideas.

Thanks.

-TP
    Monday, March 01, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Hello, I was hoping some-one could help me out with a similar problem. I have an RDS Gateway server that also handles the web access. I have a Connection Broker server and 3 RD Session Host servers hosting 1 application (identical on all 3 servers).  The Connection Broker is configured to load balance across the RDS Farm.

I want to deploy a different remote app that runs on one server (test & dev app). How do I configure the farm to deploy this app to the same web access client that the end user will see? (So that they see the normal load balanced app and the test / Dev app?

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

MB
    Monday, March 08, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Same here (If the rdweb site if configured to use all 3 rdsh hosts as the source then i get multiple instances of the same app showing.

).

From TP answer, I still don't see how I can show just one app icon (instead of three).

Thanks

Kornelius Asikin.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I have now fixed the duplicate ICONs issue.  Here's how.

- Each RD SH is also RD Web Access. 

- Added all of the RD SH computer accounts to the TS WEB Access Computers group (of each servers).

- Added all of the RD WEB Access computer accounts to the Session Broker Computers group (of RD Session Broker server).

Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Kornelius,

What "Remote IP" do you see when trying to launch an application? Is the connection being made directly to the farm servers or to the main farm server?

Thanks

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:23 PM