none
Changing the scope which DHCP is using

Question

• Hi, I have a server with the roles (ADDS, DNS and DHCP) in the same system. I used to distribute the ip addresses to my clients starting from 10.0.0.12-10.0.0.254(some arbitrary scope) and it worked fine that way. But now I want  to create the Scope of the IPs that DHCP is assigning to 65.222.222.100-65.222.222.254 and for that  I have created a new scope in the DHCP but the 10.... ips seems to work. Then I disabled the 10.0.0. scope and then i restarted the system and now the client to which i am trying to give the ip of 65... series cannot ping the server and also it doesnt get an IP. Why is this happening and where am I going wrong. 

Thanks!

Dave
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

Before we head up to your questions, please answer the following question to make us have a good understanding of your environment:

1. Please be aware of that 65.222.222.100-65.222.222.254 is not private IP addresses. Do you expect to distribute public IP addresses via DHCP?

2. In DHCP service, the address in the gateway IP address field (GIADDR) which is attached in the DHCP request will be used to identify the DHCP scope from which to offer an IP address lease. To lease IP addresses in 65.222.222.100-65.222.222.254, the DCHP service will also have a static IP address within the same network.

3. If the issues persists, could you please explain the detail of your network topology (physical and logical IP addressing)?

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Thanks a lot Li,

I dint intend to give the public ips to my clients but when I have really given them and it seems to be working, my client systems are working fine except when I do the NSLOOKUP <my private domain name> I get the correct ip addr of my DNS server(65.222.222.222.11) but it says unidentified server name it only just shows me the domain name of my server and its ip addr but it cannot recognize the name of the server. 

1. Why is that I am able to get the ip address of the DNS server(which is also my DC) and the domain name but not the name  of the server?

2. What happens if I give the public ip addr to my clients ? Shouldn't I use the public ip address range to my private network (I am asking this because anyways I wont connect my client systems to internet then what problem will it arise)

Thanks

Dave K

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:34 PM