none
ADFS 2.0 SSO prompting for a username and password

Question

• Hi,

Please can someone help?  I have build a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 and installed ADFS to single sign on with a third party (Salesforce) on the web.

When I put my website in it asks me for my domain credentials when it shouldn't and I can't find out why.  If I put in my domain credentials it signs into the web service fine, so the SSO federation/SAML bit is working fine.  I found this technet article on the web but there isn't a /authorization part in my web.config:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/ad-fs-2-0-prompted-for-credentials-when-you-are-expecting-to-be-allowed-anonymous-access.aspx

Here is my web.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
      <configSections>
        <section name="microsoft.identityServer.web" type="Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.Configuration.FederationPassiveConfigurationSection, Microsoft.IdentityServer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />
      </configSections>
      <system.web>
        <compilation defaultLanguage="c#">
          <assemblies>
            <add assembly="Microsoft.IdentityServer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />
            <add assembly="Microsoft.IdentityModel, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />
            <add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
            <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
            <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
            <add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
          </assemblies>
        </compilation>
        <authentication mode="Windows" />
        <pages enableViewState="false" enableViewStateMac="false" />
            <identity impersonate="false" />
      </system.web>

<appSettings>
        <!-- Display the consent drop down. Uncomment this, or add the key below to your
             app settings if you want to display consent options as a drop down option in the
             IdP initiated sign-on scenario (IdpInitiatedSignOn.aspx). -->

<!--
          <add key="displayConsent" />
        -->

<!-- Display the exception message on the error page. Uncomment this, or add the key below to your
             app settings if you want to see the exception messsgae. The exception messages are localized in the 
             language of the server.-->

<!--
          <add key="displayExceptions" />
        -->

<!-- To display a corporate logo, uncomment the following setting.
             For best results, ensure that the filename is a file in the same directory as
             this file and is 600 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall.
        -->

<!--
        <add key="logo" value="logo.png" />
        -->
      </appSettings>

<system.webServer>
        <handlers>
          <add name="BasicAuthHandler" path="auth/basic/" verb="*" type="Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.BasicEndpointHandler, Microsoft.IdentityServer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="PassiveProtocolHandler" path="/adfs/ls/" allowPathInfo="true" verb="*" type="Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.PassiveProtocolHandler, Microsoft.IdentityServer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="TlsAuthHandler" path="auth/sslClient/" verb="*" type="Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.TlsEndpointHandler, Microsoft.IdentityServer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="WindowsAuthHandler" path="auth/integrated/" verb="*" type="Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.WindowsEndpointHandler, Microsoft.IdentityServer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
        </handlers>
        <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
      </system.webServer>

<microsoft.identityServer.web>
        <localAuthenticationTypes>
          <add name="Integrated" page="auth/integrated/" />
          <add name="Forms" page="FormsSignIn.aspx" />
          <add name="TlsClient" page="auth/sslclient/" />
          <add name="Basic" page="auth/basic/" />
        </localAuthenticationTypes>
        <commonDomainCookie writer="" reader="" />
        <context hidden="true" />
        <error page="Error.aspx" />
        <acceptedFederationProtocols saml="true" wsFederation="true" />
        <homeRealmDiscovery page="HomeRealmDiscovery.aspx" />
        <persistIdentityProviderInformation enabled="true" lifetimeInDays="30" />
        <singleSignOn enabled="true" />
      </microsoft.identityServer.web>

<system.diagnostics>
        <sources>
          <!-- To enable tracing on a particular component, uncomment the desired section below. Then uncomment
               the shared listener named "xml" and the Microsoft.IdentityServer.SourceSwitch in the switches element.
           -->

<!-- Federation passive related tracing 
          <source name="Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web" switchName="Microsoft.IdentityServer.SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >
            <listeners>
              <add name="xml" />
            </listeners>
          </source> -->

</sources>

<!-- This is the shared listener for all of the tracing.  All of the sources write to this listener.
             If you want a more fine-grained listener, one can be added to the listeners element in each source above, which
             can then output to different files if desired. After uncommenting this, put the absolute path of the trace file
             ie c:\temp\TraceData.svclog.  Be sure that the identity of the service can write to the file and directory -->
        <sharedListeners>
          <!-- <add name="xml" type="System.Diagnostics.XmlWriterTraceListener" initializeData="" /> -->
        </sharedListeners>

<switches>
          <!-- Uncomment this switch to use with your trace sources.  You can add more and configure 
               them per source by editing the value attribute.  For each source above, there is a switchName
               attribute that links the source to a switch in this collection.  You can use the same switch
               with every source, or you can create a different switch for source for more control if thats
               desired.
          <add name="Microsoft.IdentityServer.SourceSwitch" value="Information" />
          -->
        </switches>
        <trace autoflush="true"></trace>
      </system.diagnostics>
    </configuration>

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks everyone

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:00 PM

Answers

All replies