none
Disk is read only

Question

• I have a bit of an odd problem. I am trying to backup to USB portable hard drives and when the drives are changed sometimes the next backup to occur on that newly swapped drive will say the drive is read only (i am running wbadmin command to see this). in disk management console the drive shows that it is online. if i switch it to offline, then back to online sometimes it will show online, or read only (at which point i repeat the offline process and put it to online and its ok again).

the question is, why does this happen? the usb hard drive does not have any kind of switch to make it read only. how can i get this to be writable automatically. the situation is that the backups are run automatically and there isn't always an IT person to log on the server to make the disk writable and online. I have not experienced this situation before

thanks
    • Changed type Bikash AgrawalaMicrosoft employee Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:33 PM Problem not reproducing
    • Changed type Steve Mills Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:19 AM This is an issue not a discussion
    • Moved by Bikash AgrawalaMicrosoft employee Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:34 AM USB Disk is mounted Read Only sometimes. Not a Backup Engine issue. (From:Backup – Windows and Windows Server)
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 6:01 PM

Answers

• the problem was solved eventually by moving to Windows 2008 R2 and running a script as a scheduled task to unlock the bitlocker encrypted backup drives. not perfect, but at least it works
    • Marked as answer by Steve Mills Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hello Steve,
       Thank you for bringing the problem to us.
       We have not seen such issue in the past. This does not seem to be a backup specific problem as you cited that you can see the disk to be mounted as
       readonly using diskmgmt.msc as well. I will try to loop in the right team to understand what is going wrong in this case. Since it is cross-team you may
       expect some delay in the responses.

A couple of questions:
       - Are you seeing this behaviour with a specific device (Make)?

Can you please zip the folder %windir%\logs\WindowsBackup and send it to bikasha-nospam@microsoft.com (Use the highlighted part only) for
        analyzing the problem.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, January 11, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Hello Steve,
       Can you please share the OS version details and the USB disk make on which this machine is having the problem. Also it would be good if you could share the logs as mentioned above.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:43 PM
  • I am following up with the VDS team and the customer offline via email to collect additional data as to why the disk is going readonly occassionally.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:49 AM
  • I have talked to Steve offline and suggested to apply a KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 if that is applicable. This is related to USB Controller being bad.

Also I have requested for the following logs of VDS for debugging the issue. The problem is not reproducing at his end.
    In case it repros the following logs are required.

Enable VDS logs:

1.     Exit all VDS clients and stop the VDS service: net stop vds
    2.     Clear any previous log that might have been made previously: del %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\$vds$.log
    3.     Enable debug logging: reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\DebugLog /v Level /t REG_DWORD /d 31 /f
    4.     Start up VDS and reproduce the issue.
    5.     VDS should continue tracing to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\$vds$.log

Apart when disk is read only can you run diskpart and do the following,

Diskpart> sel disk <disk-num>

Diskpart> attrib disk

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:33 PM
  • I have sent Bikash all required log files and reports to date via email. I am still waiting for someone from Microsoft to update me on this situation. I believe this situation is currently with another team other than Bikash's
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Make sure u dont have any filter drivers layering over the USB drives

Dont know if this is a desktop or server class machine - but even some music/video copyright programs layer themselevs over USB media and twiddle the drive status

www.msftmvp.com and VHD tools at www.VMUtil.com
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:13 PM
  • This is a HP DL380 Server, a fresh Windows 2008 server installation with only the HP Drivers installed and the hyper-v role installed.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Can u confirm the external USB disk is formatted NTFS (and not FAT) ?
    www.msftmvp.com and VHD tools at www.VMUtil.com
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Yes it's formatted in NTFS, but either way that wouldnt make a difference. The disk is occasionally being marked as read only, and the only way to get it back online is by making it offline and bringing online (sometimes several times) to get it out of this read only state. unplugging it and plugging it back in sometimes will do the same thing but i dont always have physical access to the server to do that.

the question is, why does it sometimes mark the disk as read only when it is connected. there are no buttons or switches on the drive itself to lock it like some USB Flash devices have, this is not a flash disk its a portable USB hard drive. yet on my laptop running windows 7, and the previous server running 2003 this never ever happened once.

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:32 AM
  • I have a bit of an odd problem. I am trying to backup to USB portable hard drives and when the drives are changed sometimes the next backup to occur on that newly swapped drive will say the drive is read only (i am running wbadmin command to see this). in disk management console the drive shows that it is online. if i switch it to offline, then back to online sometimes it will show online, or read only (at which point i repeat the offline process and put it to online and its ok again).

the question is, why does this happen? the usb hard drive does not have any kind of switch to make it read only. how can i get this to be writable automatically. the situation is that the backups are run automatically and there isn't always an IT person to log on the server to make the disk writable and online. I have not experienced this situation before

thanks

I have exactly the same problem on Window 7 Pro when I try to format a new 1.5 TB hard drive (connected via a USB 2.0 dock). Hope you guys fix it soon!
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 5:26 AM
  • This seems to be a problem with Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. I have upgrade our server last weekend and since then I am experiencing the same problem. The backup fails because the disk cannot be accessed.

The disk is read only in the disk management. Setting it to offline and back to online removes the read only flag.

Besides this I see Event 11 (The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR5.) logged when the USB disk is not working.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:58 AM
  • I never got this problem solved but i have since moved from 2008 to 2008 R2, the problem doesnt occur as frequently and the drive is now envrypted with bitlocker to go. however, occasionally the system wont automatically unlock the bitlocker'd drive, a double click to open the drive resolves the problem.

wierd, but i have no further update on how to resolve this.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:42 PM
  • the problem was solved eventually by moving to Windows 2008 R2 and running a script as a scheduled task to unlock the bitlocker encrypted backup drives. not perfect, but at least it works
    • Marked as answer by Steve Mills Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:04 PM