none
Driver Remote Desktop Easy Print required for printer is unknown

Pregunta

• This is an odd request but does anyone know how to get a 32-bit driver for the "Remote Desktop Easy Print" printer?

My situation is this: Remote desktop host services reside on a Windows 2008 R2 server. Remote sites connect to this server to run RemoteApps.

A legacy application resides on a Windows 2000 Server running Citrix Metaframe XP (same LAN as <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">2008 R2 RD</st1:address></st1:street> Host server). Legacy application will not run on anything other than Windows 2000 Server. I tried for weeks to get it running on Windows 2008 (x86) & R2 (x64) to no avail.

Management no longer allows access to Citrix servers through the firewall so I published a Citrix Client connection through RemoteApps to connect to the Citrix Application. It works except auto-creating the printer which is defined as a "Remote Desktop Easy Print" because the driver does not exist.

Event Type:       Error
    Event Source:    MetaframeEvents
    Event Category: Printer Management
    Event ID:          1106
    Date:                6/26/2012
    Time:                4:23:30 PM
    User:                N/A
    Computer:         ????08
    Description:       Client printer auto-creation failed.  The driver could not be installed. Possible reasons for the failure: The driver is not in the list of drivers on the server. The driver cannot be located. The driver has not been mapped. Client name: (????06) Printer: (Client\????06#\HPLJ4n (redirected 4595)) Printer driver: (Remote Desktop Easy Print)

martes, 26 de junio de 2012 21:09

Respuestas

• Hi,

Easy print is not guaranteed to work for all printers.Not all printers/drivers are compatible with RD Easy Print.If the Client printer auto-creation failed, I suggest you install the driver manually on both client and server.

If persists, then I would suggest installing/using a different driver(PCL5 or 6 and universal if possible) for this printer on the local PC. But be aware of bad drivers. You can also ask your printer vendor for this issue.

For adding printers manually and binding them, I suggest you read this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775141.aspx

Best regards,

Clarence

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 9:40
    Moderador
  • It seems that it is so complicated with the legacy application.Could you replace the legacy application with the latest version? I suggest you present this question in a Citrix forum to see whether it works.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 5:27
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Easy print is not guaranteed to work for all printers.Not all printers/drivers are compatible with RD Easy Print.If the Client printer auto-creation failed, I suggest you install the driver manually on both client and server.

If persists, then I would suggest installing/using a different driver(PCL5 or 6 and universal if possible) for this printer on the local PC. But be aware of bad drivers. You can also ask your printer vendor for this issue.

For adding printers manually and binding them, I suggest you read this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775141.aspx

Best regards,

Clarence

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 9:40
    Moderador
  • Greetings Clarence,

Thank you for your quick reply. I may have to present this question in a Citrix forum but the same behavior can be observed by first performing a RDP connection to a Windows 2008 R2 (x64) RD Host and then, from within that Windows 2008 R2 (x64) RD session, performing a RDP connection to a Windows 2008 (x86) RD Host. The following error will be logged in the System Event Log:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Printers
    Date: 6/27/2012 6:31:59 AM
    Event ID: 1111
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Win2008x86
    Description: Driver Remote Desktop Easy Print required for printer PrinterName on PrintServerName (redirected 35331) is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

The obvious answer would be to just connect directly to the final target Windows 2008 (x86) RD Host (Citrix Metaframe server in my case) directly from the client machine, which is how it used to work, but the problem is that I no longer have inbound ICA (TCP 1494) protocol access through the corporate firewall and since the Citrix Metaframe & Windows 2008 R2 (x64) RD Host servers are on the same LAN, my symptomatic resolution involved first performing a RDP client or RemoteApp session to a Windows 2008 R2 (x64) RD Host and then, from within that RDP client or RemoteApp session, performing a Citrix client connection to the local Citrix Metaframe server. Unless I can get my hands on a 32-bit version of the "Remote Desktop Easy Print" driver, this is going to be a dead end and I need to come up with another solution for sustaining user access to this legacy application. Management does not want to maintain the Citrix administrative & budgetary overhead so the Citrix infrastructure cannot be upgraded. The same goes for the legacy application. If I could just learn how to pull magic rabbits out of my arse.....

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 13:57
  • It seems that it is so complicated with the legacy application.Could you replace the legacy application with the latest version? I suggest you present this question in a Citrix forum to see whether it works.

Regards,

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 5:27
    Moderador