none
WSUS server cleanup wizard disconnects for every 10 mins

Pregunta

• We did not run the server cleanup wizard from long time. So I am sure it will take lot of time to complete. The problem is, when I try to use option 4 or 1 it got disconnected for every 10 mins exactly. I am trying one option at a time. I did 2, 3 and 5 options without any issue. Is there is some where specified it should disconnect after 10 mins so that I can change it to long time. I am sure no other task is running on DB. I tried even Powershall but no luck.

martes, 29 de enero de 2013 7:57

Respuestas

• I'm currently writing a blog series on this type of error at PatchZone.org

From the standpoint of the Server Cleanup Wizard, the Delete Updates function (Option #1) typically times out (causing this "Connection Error") for the very reasons stated in Part 1 of that blog series. Start with the recommendations in Part 2 and Part 3 regarding removing unneeded approvals and excessive updates.

However, if you are also experiencing this issue with Option #4 or #5 (Declining expired or superseded updates), this is almost always a function of too many update approvals, and you can manually remediate this by identifying those updates and setting the updates back to NotApproved.

Next Tuesday the next part in the series will discuss the ins and outs and importance of defragmenting the filesystem hosting the WSUS database, and the week after I'll wrap up with a discussion about the WSUS DB Maintenance script (used to reindex the WSUS database).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

jueves, 31 de enero de 2013 18:58
  • We did not run the server cleanup wizard from long time. So I am sure it will take lot of time to complete. The problem is, when I try to use option 4 or 1 it got disconnected for every 10 mins exactly. I am trying one option at a time. I did 2, 3 and 5 options without any issue. Is there is some where specified it should disconnect after 10 mins so that I can change it to long time. I am sure no other task is running on DB. I tried even Powershall but no luck.

<snip large picture>

Yes, I got this same error message on my WSUS server, but it was after applying a patch. Definitely a sign that the WSUS in "unhealthy".

FWIW, I just rebuilt the server and then the console worked again. Kind of drastic, but it seemed the quickest way out at the time.

viernes, 01 de febrero de 2013 21:58

Todas las respuestas

• I'm currently writing a blog series on this type of error at PatchZone.org

From the standpoint of the Server Cleanup Wizard, the Delete Updates function (Option #1) typically times out (causing this "Connection Error") for the very reasons stated in Part 1 of that blog series. Start with the recommendations in Part 2 and Part 3 regarding removing unneeded approvals and excessive updates.

However, if you are also experiencing this issue with Option #4 or #5 (Declining expired or superseded updates), this is almost always a function of too many update approvals, and you can manually remediate this by identifying those updates and setting the updates back to NotApproved.

Next Tuesday the next part in the series will discuss the ins and outs and importance of defragmenting the filesystem hosting the WSUS database, and the week after I'll wrap up with a discussion about the WSUS DB Maintenance script (used to reindex the WSUS database).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

jueves, 31 de enero de 2013 18:58

<snip large picture>

Yes, I got this same error message on my WSUS server, but it was after applying a patch. Definitely a sign that the WSUS in "unhealthy".

FWIW, I just rebuilt the server and then the console worked again. Kind of drastic, but it seemed the quickest way out at the time.

viernes, 01 de febrero de 2013 21:58