none
RDS Web Access - Runtime Error

Pregunta

• We seem to be getting Runtime error from the RDS Web Access page when it has been left inactive for a period of time. The event log message is as follows:

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 12/10/2010 11:06:38

Event time (UTC): 12/10/2010 10:06:38

Event ID: a43d8f5fc002406aae4d0713fe1c3ff7

Event sequence: 170

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/RDWeb/Pages-3-129312912286040622

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /RDWeb/Pages

Application Path: C:\Windows\Web\RDWeb\Pages\

Machine name: SERVER16

Process information:

Process ID: 1016

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: IIS APPPOOL\RDWebAccess

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException

Exception message: Unable to validate data.

Request information:

Request URL: https://ts.DOMAINNAME.co.uk:443/RDWeb/Pages/en-US/LogOff.aspx

Request path: /RDWeb/Pages/en-US/LogOff.aspx

User host address: 192.168.6.93

User:

Is authenticated: False

Authentication Type:

Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\RDWebAccess

Thread information:

Thread ID: 6

Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\RDWebAccess

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace: at System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, IVType ivType, Boolean useValidationSymAlgo, Boolean signData)

at System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.Decrypt(String encryptedTicket)

at Microsoft.TerminalServices.Publishing.Portal.FormAuthentication.TSFormsAuthentication.ExtractInfoFromCookies(HttpContext objHttpContext)

at Microsoft.TerminalServices.Publishing.Portal.FormAuthentication.TSFormsAuthentication.OnAuthenticateRequest(Object source, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

The framework/installation is pretty much vanilla with no additional config done on the Web Sites otherwise to allow the full error messages to show on the page.

The environment for info is one session broker and two RDS hosts with Web Access roles installed and DNS RR load balanced. Has anyone encountered this before?

Many thanks in advance.

martes, 12 de octubre de 2010 12:23

Respuestas

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you have a trouble when accessing the RD Web Access page. If I misunderstand the question, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my search, this issue may be caused by installing the .NET Framework 2.0.

Please refer to the following article to understand how to fix it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941386

If the issue persists, please help to confirm the following questions:

1. Does this issue exist when you use a different local machine to surf the RDS web access page?

2. Does this issue exist when accessing by an administrative account?

3. Can you access the RDS web access page on the local server via normal user and administrative account?

4. Does this problem occur before? If not, did you install any software?

Please let me know the information above so that I can provide further assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.

viernes, 15 de octubre de 2010 8:25
    Moderador
  • Hi, I have reproduced this same error, however on the initial login page, when MS10-070 (KB2416471) is installed.

When the sp is uninstalled the site operates normally.

Even though this update is a .net 3.5 service pack, my assumption is it alters something in the System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData library used by .net 2.0

miércoles, 27 de octubre de 2010 4:01

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you have a trouble when accessing the RD Web Access page. If I misunderstand the question, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my search, this issue may be caused by installing the .NET Framework 2.0.

Please refer to the following article to understand how to fix it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941386

If the issue persists, please help to confirm the following questions:

1. Does this issue exist when you use a different local machine to surf the RDS web access page?

3. Can you access the RDS web access page on the local server via normal user and administrative account?

Please let me know the information above so that I can provide further assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.

viernes, 15 de octubre de 2010 8:25
    Moderador
  • Thank you for the reply. To confirm:

Happens with all client machine (100+ with a mix of XP, Vista and Win7)

Yes

Yes, Accessing the page is not a problem, it is when you have accessed the page and you left it inactive the problem starts. Only way to solve is to close all IE windows and try again.

It has always happened on a new RDS deployment.

viernes, 15 de octubre de 2010 10:33
  • Hi, I have reproduced this same error, however on the initial login page, when MS10-070 (KB2416471) is installed.

When the sp is uninstalled the site operates normally.

Even though this update is a .net 3.5 service pack, my assumption is it alters something in the System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData library used by .net 2.0

miércoles, 27 de octubre de 2010 4:01
  • I am experiencing the same thing. Only happens when a users logs off. I am running two Server 2008 R2 servers with the RDweb bits installed. It happens intermittently.
    viernes, 03 de diciembre de 2010 19:11
  • I am experiencing the same issue. Just wondering if there's solution for it.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
       System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, IVType ivType, Boolean useValidationSymAlgo, Boolean signData) +4295147
       System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.Decrypt(String encryptedTicket) +351
       Microsoft.TerminalServices.Publishing.Portal.FormAuthentication.TSFormsAuthentication.ExtractInfoFromCookies(HttpContext objHttpContext) +253
       Microsoft.TerminalServices.Publishing.Portal.FormAuthentication.TSFormsAuthentication.OnAuthenticateRequest(Object source, EventArgs e) +628
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 8:02
  • I see two different issues on this thread:

1. "System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data." occurs when more than one RDWeb server is used with load balancing.
    2. "System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data." occurs after KB2416471 is installed.

The two issues have different causes, but the symptom is the same: an RDWeb server is complaining becauses it sees an invalid Forms auth login cookie.

For issue #1 above, the problem is that the different load balanced RDWeb servers are using different machine keys, which causes server A to reject login cookies that were generated by server B, and vice versa.  Some more information about this can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731979(v=ws.10).aspx . The changes to machine keys should be made for the paths "RDWeb", "RDWeb/Feed", and "RDWeb/FeedLogin".

Issue #2 is caused by some of the changes that KB2416471 made to the system. KB2416471 changed the format of these login cookies. Because of this, any login cookies that were granted before KB2416471 was installed are now invalid. The good news is that this problem should take care of itself; after the existing cookies expire, the user should be able to log in again with no problems. The user can hurry this along by restarting Internet Explorer and then logging back in.

Any time you make changes to the machine keys for RDWeb, it can cause RemoteApp and Desktop Connections (RADC) to stop updating on client machines. Once you have fixed the machine keys, have your users manually update their connections. This can be done as follows:

1. Navigate to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\RemoteApp and Desktop Connections" in Explorer.
    2. Click "Properties" for the connection.
    3. Click "Update now".
    4. Complete the connection update wizard.

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 17:53