none
Active directory on domain controller after DNS server crash

Pregunta

• I had 2 servers. One was an old 2000 and the new one is 2003 with a working active directory. Both were setup as domain controllers The windows 2000 server crashed and was the dns server. The active directory still seems to be working although it takes a full minute to log people into a work station now I assume because of the no DNS server. I had to hard set the dns for the work stations to my IP's address to give them internet access. Do I load dns server onto the 2003 server now that the other is gone and will that mess up my active directory that is currently still working on that server?
    sábado, 07 de noviembre de 2009 14:44

Respuestas

• You need DNS in order for AD to function properly. You should install DNS on your remaining DC, create AD-integrated forward and reverse lookup zones and set their replication scope to all domain controllers in the domain. Make sure that all domain computers (including the remaining DC) piont to the new DNS server as their primary (and only) DNS server. You might also need to restart Netlogon server on the DC and re-register domain member computers.
    Once DNS zones are populated, clean up AD by following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846/en-us
    Install/promote anothe DC as soon as possible...

hth
    Marcin
    • Propuesto como respuesta Meinolf WeberMVP domingo, 08 de noviembre de 2009 15:45
    • Marcado como respuesta Bruce-Liu martes, 17 de noviembre de 2009 3:29
    sábado, 07 de noviembre de 2009 15:29

Todas las respuestas

• You need DNS in order for AD to function properly. You should install DNS on your remaining DC, create AD-integrated forward and reverse lookup zones and set their replication scope to all domain controllers in the domain. Make sure that all domain computers (including the remaining DC) piont to the new DNS server as their primary (and only) DNS server. You might also need to restart Netlogon server on the DC and re-register domain member computers.
    Once DNS zones are populated, clean up AD by following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846/en-us
    Install/promote anothe DC as soon as possible...

hth
    Marcin
    • Propuesto como respuesta Meinolf WeberMVP domingo, 08 de noviembre de 2009 15:45
    • Marcado como respuesta Bruce-Liu martes, 17 de noviembre de 2009 3:29
    sábado, 07 de noviembre de 2009 15:29
  • My apology for jumping in on this, but I have a similar question to your answer.
    I have two DC/DNS AD Integrated, is it required to have DNS AD Integrated on a DC? My production network is Win2k3, I would like to migrate DHCP off the DC/DNS AD Integrated server, but I am being ask to uninstall DNS AD Integrated from the server.
    martes, 16 de febrero de 2010 23:20
  • I have Windows 2003 Server , Where AD , DNS and Exchange is running. Suddenly Server crashed last week. I have full backup of the Server. can you provide me the step rebuild the windows 2003 Server with Full backup.

sábado, 31 de marzo de 2012 9:49
  • Rakesh,

This thread is answered. Please create new one.

Regards,

_Prashant_

MCSA|MCITP SA|Microsoft Exchange 2003 Blog - http://prashant1987.wordpress.com Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

sábado, 31 de marzo de 2012 10:17