none
2008 Server X64 Fax Service - out of memory

Pregunta

• We've been running fax services for over a year now without issue. In the past few days all incoming faxes to this server get a busy signal, and outgoing faxes tried from the server console get the message "Fax service out of memory". I've read about a memory hole, any recommendations anyone can point out to fix this?
    martes, 24 de mayo de 2011 16:18

Respuestas

• Hi,

Yes, it seems that nothing bothers the Fax service at the software level. You may consider replacing the modem device for test.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    jueves, 26 de mayo de 2011 9:28
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Most modems are not designed to withstand 24/7 use. I suggest that you upgrade to an intelligent fax board and dedicated fax server software or else just buy a new modem every 12 months.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrei Azzopardi
    FaxSkape Fax Server for Windows by GoldBolt Software
    The perfect fax server companion for Exchange, Lotus and SMTP servers.
    sábado, 28 de mayo de 2011 6:42

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

First of all, please verify if this issue will occur in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean Boot

=============
    Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:  

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.  

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

If it still exits, please try to reinstall the modem driver for test.

Does it work?

If the above methods can not help you on this issue, please use Process Explorer to collect the information.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

In the selected colums, please check all the options regarding Process Memory.

On the Menu section, click View->Lower Panel View->DLLs and make sure the Show Lower Pane item is checked.

Now click faxsvc.exe, then the DLLs hosting in this process will show up in the lower pane. At this time, please click File->Save As to export the text file.

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=e3329e36-c81b-48c0-a001-ba8bce7d8576)
    Password: !Y@1Rv8pT$

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    miércoles, 25 de mayo de 2011 6:49
    Moderador
  • FXSSVC.EXE info sent. 

And I've taken a harder look at it, I don't think its a memory leak after all, the service is currently only using 2 meg of memory after a reboot, and all inbound calls still get a busy.  I've verified the line works, the only other thing I can think of it replacing the modem.   

miércoles, 25 de mayo de 2011 15:49
  • Hi,

Yes, it seems that nothing bothers the Fax service at the software level. You may consider replacing the modem device for test.

Thanks,

Miles

jueves, 26 de mayo de 2011 9:28
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Most modems are not designed to withstand 24/7 use. I suggest that you upgrade to an intelligent fax board and dedicated fax server software or else just buy a new modem every 12 months.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrei Azzopardi
    FaxSkape Fax Server for Windows by GoldBolt Software
    The perfect fax server companion for Exchange, Lotus and SMTP servers.
    sábado, 28 de mayo de 2011 6:42
  • Hi,

Please feel free to let us know if there is any update.

Thanks,

Miles

lunes, 30 de mayo de 2011 2:11
    Moderador