none
Why am I getting an error that I have no device CALS available even though there are?

Pregunta

• Windows Server 2008 R2

We have been able to login in with no problems since i setup the server a few months ago, but today users have complained that they cannot login. They get an error about how a 'license could not be renewed'. All clients are running XP.

In the error logs on the server there are plenty of Event 21's, telling me how I 'dont have any remaining permanent licenses' of the per device type. But if i check the licensing manager, plenty are available.

Also browsing the error log, I find Event 46- 'one or more RD licensing certificates has expired'. Is this related?

I Google and try a 'reactivate' in the license manager. Doesnt seem to help.

The only other 'answers' i can find is that i should delete a MSlicensing registry key on my client computers because some sort of certificate information is stored there. Seriously!?

I should also note that i could login as a standard user from a fresh windows 7 computer that had never connected to the server, but could NOT login using the same account on one of the XP clients that frequently connect.

What has happened? Please help

• Editado cesDavid miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 13:09
    miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 12:53

Respuestas

• Hi,

1. Do you have Service Pack 1 installed on your RD Licensing server?  Have you applied all important windows updates as well?

2. The certificate expired error will cause the other errors to occur.  Once you fix this everything should return to normal.

3. After applying SP1 and updates I would recommend you Re-activate your RD Licensing server again using RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe).  After reactivating please try to connect from a PC that is unable to log on and verify in RD Licensing Manager that the PC's Per Device license has been renewed.

4. If the above does not solve the issue I recommend you gather your licensing paperwork (license authorization/agreement numbers, keypack codes, etc.).  This is essential and is something you should do regardless of this particular problem.  Once you have your license documentation ready you may deactivate the RDL server in RD Licensing Manager, uninstall RD Licensing Role Service using Server Manager, and then re-install RD Licensing.  This should only take a couple of minutes with no restart needed.

After reinstalling RD Licensing Activate the server, install your RDS CALs, and test that your PCs are able to connect and receive new RDS CALs as needed.  PCs that have a valid Per Device RDS CAL that does not expire within 7 days will not obtain a new license until they are within the 7 day timeframe.  If you have any problems reinstalling your RDS CALs you may contact the Clearinghouse, explain that you needed to reinstall your CALs, and they will assist you with installing them.

Locate the Microsoft Clearinghouse Telephone Number for Your Country or Region

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754874.aspx

Thanks.

-TP

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 11:00
  • Hi,

Have you tried to reactivate your Licensing server? Please also try to apply the following Hotfix to see if the issue still persists.

Event ID 17 is logged in the System log on a TS Licensing server or on a RD Licensing server in Windows Server 2003 SP2, in Windows Server 2008, or in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983385

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

lunes, 02 de julio de 2012 2:41

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Did you install session host role and licensing role on the same server?

For this issue, you may refer to the following detailed steps described in below thread to troubleshoot. Hope it helps.

Issue with Terminal Server Licensing

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winserverTS/thread/a71040f6-945f-469c-85cc-e53ba30f2dc9

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 6:12
  • Yes both on the same server. It was working fine for months, no problems reported. All services running etc.

I've given up and just started using per user licencing instead. Still interested in an explanation though.MS cannot seriously expect people to go round deleting registry keys on each client!

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 10:35
  • Hi,

1. Do you have Service Pack 1 installed on your RD Licensing server?  Have you applied all important windows updates as well?

2. The certificate expired error will cause the other errors to occur.  Once you fix this everything should return to normal.

3. After applying SP1 and updates I would recommend you Re-activate your RD Licensing server again using RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe).  After reactivating please try to connect from a PC that is unable to log on and verify in RD Licensing Manager that the PC's Per Device license has been renewed.

4. If the above does not solve the issue I recommend you gather your licensing paperwork (license authorization/agreement numbers, keypack codes, etc.).  This is essential and is something you should do regardless of this particular problem.  Once you have your license documentation ready you may deactivate the RDL server in RD Licensing Manager, uninstall RD Licensing Role Service using Server Manager, and then re-install RD Licensing.  This should only take a couple of minutes with no restart needed.

After reinstalling RD Licensing Activate the server, install your RDS CALs, and test that your PCs are able to connect and receive new RDS CALs as needed.  PCs that have a valid Per Device RDS CAL that does not expire within 7 days will not obtain a new license until they are within the 7 day timeframe.  If you have any problems reinstalling your RDS CALs you may contact the Clearinghouse, explain that you needed to reinstall your CALs, and they will assist you with installing them.

Locate the Microsoft Clearinghouse Telephone Number for Your Country or Region

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754874.aspx

Thanks.

-TP

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 11:00
  • SP1 is installed and got automatic updates on.

What is this certificate and why did it expire? Couldnt find any information about it except the event in the error log.

viernes, 29 de junio de 2012 14:01
  • Hi,

Have you tried to reactivate your Licensing server? Please also try to apply the following Hotfix to see if the issue still persists.

Event ID 17 is logged in the System log on a TS Licensing server or on a RD Licensing server in Windows Server 2003 SP2, in Windows Server 2008, or in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983385

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

lunes, 02 de julio de 2012 2:41