Problems with Hyper-V 2008 R2 (Incorrect Function)

Pregunta

• 1. Is the Intel I5 2.6Ghz CPU chip with Virtualization supported on Windows 2008 R2 with Hyper-V enabled?

2. If so, when I create a new Virtual Machine and try and start the VM why am I receiving Can not Start Virtual Machine "Incorrect Function"?

Can you Help?

Thank you

For those of you who want to know, I took the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UA2 motherboard and Intel I5 CPU chip and replaced them with the Intel DP55WB Motherboard and I7 860 CPU chip and that resolved my problem. I suspect the Sata controller on the Gigabyte board was not compatible with Hyper-V.

Thanks
    jueves, 05 de noviembre de 2009 16:26

Respuestas

• Hi,

Based on the following page, Intel i5 is support Virtualization, however, there is no guarantee that the motherboard is compatible with Hyper-V. Sometimes the motherboard cause the issue that you can’t run Hyper-V properly.

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/specifications.htm

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

viernes, 06 de noviembre de 2009 8:05
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Based on the following page, Intel i5 is support Virtualization, however, there is no guarantee that the motherboard is compatible with Hyper-V. Sometimes the motherboard cause the issue that you can’t run Hyper-V properly.

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/specifications.htm

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

viernes, 06 de noviembre de 2009 8:05
    Moderador
  • I had the same error with an Intel i5-650 and a Gigabyte mother board.  This Board had a second Sata controller that could be used as a RAID or ACHI.  The Defaullt was ACHI and Hyper-V was installed with the ACHI mode (default).  

Hyper-V seems to have some problem with this secondary SATA controller in ACHI mode.  I changed it to IDE and I could start my virtual machines with no problems.

I hope this helps any others with similar problems.

lunes, 07 de junio de 2010 10:09