none
How to start over with WSUS?

Pregunta

• Hi -

I've spent a good number of hours going over this forum (and other forums) to solve my problem, but can't seem to find a definite solution for this situtation. For a number of years,  I've had WSUS running in my small business environment here in my office and had little or no problems. Over the last year or so WSUS has stopped functioning completely. Honestly, I can't recall now what the original problem/error was or what exactly started it. I believe it was something to do with a service pack or an update of some kind, but I can't be sure. The WSUS console would just blink on the screen and crash.

Anyway, I apologize for my description of the error being so vague. While trying to keep up with service calls and everything else involved with being a small business owner, I ended up just ignoring the problem for a while. A few months ago I decided to tackle the problem, spent a good amount of time researching it and made a few changes to no avail. Things got busy again and I haven't gone back to it till now. The problem has become really annoying at this point, so one way or another I'd really like it solved. As it stands now, the console will open, but won't connect to the WSUS server database at all. All I get is: "Error: Connection Error" and gives me the option to "Reset Server Node" or "Copy to Clipboard". I cannot remember what I did to cause this or what the original errors were before it got to this point. Digging a little further, I find in the event log: Event 18456 - source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found... and goes on to say: The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file. Basically, I made the problem worse.

At this point since I cannot remember what I did, I'd like to "start over" with WSUS if possible. This is running on a SBS2008 Server (the only one) in my office. Is there any way I can get this off the system and do a clean installation of ONLY WSUS? WSUS didn't "come with" SBS. I installed it separate a few months later after I setup the network so I could learn WSUS. We also use the company web site, calendar, fax, remote access, etc... on a daily basis. Can this be removed without permanently effecting the other services or the data in them? I'm a little fuzzy on SQL Server and how that interacts with the other services on SBS.

Any Suggestions? Please let me know what other information you might need to help.

Thank you very much for your time.

Andy

Andy Gonzalez

miércoles, 08 de mayo de 2013 1:42

Respuestas

• As it stands now, the console will open, but won't connect to the WSUS server database at all. All I get is: "Error: Connection Error" and gives me the option to "Reset Server Node" or "Copy to Clipboard". I cannot remember what I did to cause this or what the original errors were before it got to this point. Digging a little further, I find in the event log: Event 18456 - source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found... and goes on to say: The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file. Basically, I made the problem worse.

That's not healthy. For remediating WSUS-on-SBS issues, the place you want to do go is Susan Bradley's blog, and assuming this is an SBS2008 server, this is the post to start with:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2009/08/27/repairing-wsus-3-on-sbs-2008.aspx

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

miércoles, 08 de mayo de 2013 3:11
    Moderador
  • I did note while going through the steps to repair it, that there is NO evidence under Programs and Features that WSUS is installed at all... not a single entry (updates, service packs or otherwise for WSUS). Should I just download WSUS and run the setup again? Could it be that simple or would that just make it worse?

This is the critical question. Whether WSUS is not installed at all, or partially installed or partially uninstalled. Is there a \WSUS folder in the root of your C: drive? Do you have additional drives other than C:, if so, check there as well. In the ~\WSUS folder, is there an UpdateServicesDbFiles folder with two files: SUSDB.MDF and SUSDB_log.LDF? What is the total size of the ~\WSUS\WSUSContent folder? If it's not there, then it will need to be reinstalled using the command line in the cited blog post. If it's partially uninstalled, the reinstallation may fail.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

lunes, 27 de mayo de 2013 18:45
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• As it stands now, the console will open, but won't connect to the WSUS server database at all. All I get is: "Error: Connection Error" and gives me the option to "Reset Server Node" or "Copy to Clipboard". I cannot remember what I did to cause this or what the original errors were before it got to this point. Digging a little further, I find in the event log: Event 18456 - source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found... and goes on to say: The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file. Basically, I made the problem worse.

That's not healthy. For remediating WSUS-on-SBS issues, the place you want to do go is Susan Bradley's blog, and assuming this is an SBS2008 server, this is the post to start with:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2009/08/27/repairing-wsus-3-on-sbs-2008.aspx

SolarWinds Head Geek

miércoles, 08 de mayo de 2013 3:11
    Moderador
  • Yes, it is SBS2008. Perfect... thank you very much! I'll check it out and get back to you...

Thanks!!

Andy Gonzalez

jueves, 09 de mayo de 2013 0:34
  • Update: I've gotten through the first part of the steps listed. The console still won't access it, but I think the database is back up and running. It's looking promising, but I still need to reboot the server. That will have to wait till tonight unfortunately. I'll check the logs to be sure, finish the steps then and post back the results...

Thanks!

Andy Gonzalez

domingo, 12 de mayo de 2013 16:17
  • I've rebooted the server, but it doesn't look like it did much. The "MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE" database is back up and running, but there's no other obvious evidence that anything else changed. The WSUS consol is still giving me the same error (Cannot connect... "Reset Server Node" or "Copy to Clipboard). I did note while going through the steps to repair it, that there is NO evidence under Programs and Features that WSUS is installed at all... not a single entry (updates, service packs or otherwise for WSUS). Should I just download WSUS and run the setup again? Could it be that simple or would that just make it worse?

The good news is that any changes I've made thus far don't seem to have any negative effect on anything else. All remote access, ftp, exchange, etc... still working OK.

Let me know if you need any logfiles, screenshots, etc... to better help me.

Thanks!!

Andy Gonzalez

lunes, 13 de mayo de 2013 15:26
  • I've tried to uninstall it using the original install files. That failed as well. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to install WSUS on top of itself (or repair it) with the original files, so whatever the fix is it looks like it will have to be done with the command prompt. Anyway, I've got new logfiles if you want them.

I'm hesitant to try anything else myself without hearing back from you first.

Thanks!

Andy Gonzalez

martes, 14 de mayo de 2013 16:34
  • I did note while going through the steps to repair it, that there is NO evidence under Programs and Features that WSUS is installed at all... not a single entry (updates, service packs or otherwise for WSUS). Should I just download WSUS and run the setup again? Could it be that simple or would that just make it worse?

This is the critical question. Whether WSUS is not installed at all, or partially installed or partially uninstalled. Is there a \WSUS folder in the root of your C: drive? Do you have additional drives other than C:, if so, check there as well. In the ~\WSUS folder, is there an UpdateServicesDbFiles folder with two files: SUSDB.MDF and SUSDB_log.LDF? What is the total size of the ~\WSUS\WSUSContent folder? If it's not there, then it will need to be reinstalled using the command line in the cited blog post. If it's partially uninstalled, the reinstallation may fail.

SolarWinds Head Geek

lunes, 27 de mayo de 2013 18:45
    Moderador
  • Hi - Yes, the WSUS directory IS still there. In my last attempt to uninstall, I removed all of it's contents after the uninstallation failed trying to solve this. There was quite a bit in there. Yes, those two other files were there as well. I can try reinstalling again with the command line, but it really had no effect before except to get that MS...##SEE database back up and running. Even then, it couldn't connect to it. From here, I guess I have two options: Forget about WSUS and figure out how to change group policy back so my systems on the domain can use Windows Update again OR gather all these logs, screenshots, etc... and upload them to you to better point me in the right direction.

In any case, if there is a definite answer to my problem in your last post, I can't find it.

Andy Gonzalez

miércoles, 29 de mayo de 2013 13:04
  • In any case, if there is a definite answer to my problem in your last post, I can't find it.

Nope. Just needed some additional diagnostics to confirm that WSUS is "partially" installed/uninstalled.

I would suggest doing a 'cleanup' of the WSUS installation using How to Uninstall WSUS.

SolarWinds Head Geek

jueves, 30 de mayo de 2013 2:42
    Moderador
  • Thank you... and sorry it's taken this long to get back to you. Things have gotten busy here, which is good, but gives me zero time to troubleshoot my own stuff. I will try this tonight or tomorrow and get back ASAP.

Thanks for your time.

Andy Gonzalez

miércoles, 05 de junio de 2013 13:54
  • I think I've gotten as far as I'm going to get with those instructions for now. I had the WICU utility handy and ran that since I wasn't sure where to find MSIZAP. After that, for the first time in 6 months the WSUS installer ran to completion... almost. It crashed near the very end. The log reads:

DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!!

Andy Gonzalez

miércoles, 12 de junio de 2013 14:01
  • I meant to include this shot of the setup Window with more info... Apparently it's related to the internal database.

Thanks for your time on this... I think we are almost there.

Andy Gonzalez

miércoles, 12 de junio de 2013 14:07
  • I meant to include this shot of the setup Window with more info... Apparently it's related to the internal database.

In the previously cited article, there are notes on uninstalling the Windows Internal Database. Ensure the WID has been fully uninstalled (if you can). The problem with this is that on an SBS system, there are other things using the WID, including WSUS. In that case, you'll need to dig deeper within the SBS realm as to why the WID cannot be installed (the fact that it wants to install the WID actually suggests a partial uninstall has already occurred, and the part that lets the WSUS installer think a functioning WID exists... doesn't exist anymore.

SolarWinds Head Geek

miércoles, 12 de junio de 2013 17:28
    Moderador