none
Realtek 8187 wireless driver stops working after sleep mode

Pregunta

• When computer powers up from sleep mode, wireless network can not be detected.  Only solution so far it to restart computer each time I wake it up from sleep mode.

System:  ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe / WiFi-AP   BIOS ver. ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI  Rev 1903

CPU:  AMD Athlon 64X2 6400+ AM2 Socket
    Realtek RTL8187 Wireless LAN Driver  ver. 6.1304.1119.2007
    Router: Linksys Wireless-N WRT350N  that works flawlessly( most of the time)

any suggestions?  Thanks.

lunes, 12 de mayo de 2008 21:42

Respuestas

• Hello,

Based on my research, there is a known issue on Window Vista that some devices might stop working after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation.

The HOTFIX to fix this issue is available now. Please refer to the following KB article to obtain the HOTFIX

929734   You may experience problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929734

Moreover, this issue might also be a hardware compatibility issue. The wireless card might not be correctly waked after the computer is waked from sleep.

If the HOTFIX makes no difference, I recommend you change the wake up computer Option for the wireless card device so that the computer will not turn off the device when it is set to sleep.

Please follow the below steps:

1.    Open Device Manager

a. Open Control Panel.

b. Click Device Manager icon.

c. Open Network adapters and select the Wireless card device..

2.    Right click the wireless card device and click Properties.

3.    On Power Management tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

After that please have another test.

If all above steps could not resolve the issue, I recommend you open a new thread in the following Vista TechNet Forum: Windows Vista Hardware

Thanks.

Regards,

Neo Zhu

miércoles, 14 de mayo de 2008 2:21

Todas las respuestas

• Hello,

Based on my research, there is a known issue on Window Vista that some devices might stop working after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation.

The HOTFIX to fix this issue is available now. Please refer to the following KB article to obtain the HOTFIX

929734   You may experience problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929734

Moreover, this issue might also be a hardware compatibility issue. The wireless card might not be correctly waked after the computer is waked from sleep.

If the HOTFIX makes no difference, I recommend you change the wake up computer Option for the wireless card device so that the computer will not turn off the device when it is set to sleep.

Please follow the below steps:

1.    Open Device Manager

a. Open Control Panel.

b. Click Device Manager icon.

c. Open Network adapters and select the Wireless card device..

2.    Right click the wireless card device and click Properties.

3.    On Power Management tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

After that please have another test.

If all above steps could not resolve the issue, I recommend you open a new thread in the following Vista TechNet Forum: Windows Vista Hardware

Thanks.

Regards,

Neo Zhu

miércoles, 14 de mayo de 2008 2:21
  •  I've got a Gateway T-6321 running Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with a Realtek RTL8187b WLAN card, and it has the same problem. Many times after waking up from sleep or hibernation I get the yellow triangle with the exclamation point over the network icon in the system tray. The wireless status indicates a good signal but "limited connectivity", while ipconfig shows a self-assigned IP address (meaning that no DHCP address was recieved). Releasing and renewing the address doesn't work.

The solution I've found (though I'm going to try the hotfix now that I know it exsists) is to:
    1. Open the Device Manager
    2. Disable the Realtek device in the "Network adapters" section
    3. Wait a moment and re-enable it

This works every time without having to restart the whole computer. It's still a pain in the butt though and Realtek, Microsoft, or Gateway should be beaten with garden hoses for not having a widely announced fix by now (it's been almost a year).
    domingo, 30 de noviembre de 2008 8:52
  • I think iv fixed this problem by changing the property "network type" to "Ad Hoc".

the property was previously set to "Infrastructure".

Its been working for a week now, and I havent changed anything other properties.

relevant specs:
       vista home edition
       intel t9300 core2 duo
       realtek 8187b     driver version 6.1106.1004.2007

belkin ADSL router (unknown model, unpatched firmware)

the "network type" property is the advanced section of the realtek driver menu

regards,
    sábado, 13 de diciembre de 2008 21:37