none
WSUS

Pregunta

• HI 

I have WSUS 3.0 SP2 installed on a Windows 2003 machine. I have recently applied the WSUS hot fix which cause WSUS not to function, 

I was able to remove WSUS but when I try to install it , it is giving me the error that I cannot connect to the database. I believe that the 

WSUS database might be corrupt and and the registry some how is still pointing to the old database location. I would like to re install

WSUS from scratch but I am not sure how to do it at this point.

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Thank you

jueves, 18 de abril de 2013 17:18

Respuestas

• I have WSUS 3.0 SP2 installed on a Windows 2003 machine. I have recently applied the WSUS hot fix which cause WSUS not to function

Which hotfix ... there are three that have been released in the past nine months.

I was able to remove WSUS but when I try to install it , it is giving me the error that I cannot connect to the database.

This is expected behavior. All three hotfixes introduce database schema changes which makes it impossible for a downlevel installation of WSUS to talk to a patched instance of the database - which is why the documentation for all three hotfixes provides instructions to perform a full system backup prior to installing the update.

I believe that the WSUS database might be corrupt and and the registry some how is still pointing to the old database location. I would like to re install WSUS from scratch but I am not sure how to do it at this point.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

You need to do the following.

1. Install SQL Server Management Studio Express, and DETACH the existing (patched) WSUS database.
    2. Make COPIES of the SUSDB.MDF and SUSDB_log.LDF files to a safe place.
    3. Delete the original instances of SUSDB.MDF and SUSDB_log.LDF.
    4. Install a new WSUS3SP2 (KB972455) instance with a fresh database. Do not run the setup wizard.
    5. PATCH the WSUS installation to whatever hotfix you attempted to install previously.
    6. Stop the Update Services service.
    7. DETACH the new WSUS database and MOVE the new database files to a safe location (SUSDB.MDF and SUSDB_log.LDF).
    8. COPY the patched database files back to the active location.
    9. ATTACH the database to the database instance.
    10. Restart the Update Services service.

or you can install a fresh WSUS server, patch it, and reset your groups and approvals. :)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

martes, 23 de abril de 2013 23:18
    Moderador