none
Can I download the particular updates manually?

Pregunta

• I just deployed the WSUS, synchronization with MS Update is done. I think the Metadata are in the database now. But my internet connectivity is extremely slow. Almost need 2-3 weeks to download all the update packages. So the question is, during the downloading period, can I download and import some updates manually, i.e. Hot fixes or emergency patch? Thanks.

Allen

jueves, 21 de marzo de 2013 3:31

Respuestas

• Hi,

You can choose 'Download update files to this server only when updates are approved", make sure no auto approve policy used, then approve the particular update you need to deploy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marcado como respuesta NExT0 viernes, 22 de marzo de 2013 3:05
    viernes, 22 de marzo de 2013 2:01
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• any help? It's urgent, please...
    jueves, 21 de marzo de 2013 14:04
  • Am 21.03.2013 schrieb NExT0:

I just deployed the WSUS,synchronization with MS Update is done. I think theMetadata are in the database now. But my internet connectivity is extremely slow. Almost need 2-3 weeks to download all the update packages. So the question is, during the downloading period, can I download and import some updates manually, i.e. Hot fixes or emergency patch? Thanks.

You can import some Updates from Windows Update Catalog. Rightclick on
    Updates > Import. You have to use this on WSUS directly.
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

Winfried

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx
    http://www.wsuswiki.com/Home

jueves, 21 de marzo de 2013 21:00
  • Hi,

You can choose 'Download update files to this server only when updates are approved", make sure no auto approve policy used, then approve the particular update you need to deploy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marcado como respuesta NExT0 viernes, 22 de marzo de 2013 3:05
    viernes, 22 de marzo de 2013 2:01
    Moderador
  • yes, the action will import the Metadata to WSUS. But it can't prioritize the downloading. Eric Zhang gave the right answer, I will need to disable the auto approve policy. Thank you.

viernes, 22 de marzo de 2013 3:10
  • I just deployed the WSUS, synchronization with MS Update is done. I think the Metadata are in the database now. But my internet connectivity is extremely slow. Almost need 2-3 weeks to download all the update packages. So the question is, during the downloading period, can I download and import some updates manually, i.e. Hot fixes or emergency patch? Thanks.

Allen

I think the nature of your question has confused the responses of my colleagues, because "import" has a very distinct meaning in the WSUS environment, and they've interpreted your use of the term explicitly, which is not what you mean, I think.

First thing to do is re-evaluate how many updates you have approved. If you're anticipating 2-3 weeks to download the updates, you've probably approved many more updates than you need. A couple hundred updates is usually a typical starting point for updates that need to be approved on an initial WSUS deployment.

Second, to the question I believe you're asking -- NO, you cannot download the files manually, they must be downloaded by the WSUS server. This is part of the security model that ensures that the WSUS server gets file content with the necessary integrity.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

martes, 26 de marzo de 2013 21:32
    Moderador