none
Installing IAS on a Domain Controller Server 2008

Question

• Can I run IAS on a Server 2008 enterprise domain controller?  We have a remote site that only has a single server that acts as a domain controller/print server.  Is it alright to have AD DS services and IAS services running on the same box?  We would like to have our users at this site utilize a wireless network where they can log on to that network via RADIUS authentication.

Thank you

vendredi 16 mars 2012 17:37

Réponses

• Hi,

Internet Authentication Service (IAS) is the Microsoft implementation of a Remote Authentication Dial-in User Service (RADIUS) server and proxy in Windows Server 2003. As a RADIUS server, IAS performs centralized connection authentication, authorization, and accounting for many types of network access, including wireless and virtual private network (VPN) connections. As a RADIUS proxy, IAS forwards authentication and accounting messages to other RADIUS servers.

In Windows Server 2008, IAS has been replaced with Network Policy Server (NPS).

You could find the best practices for the NPS server according to the hyperlink above.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

lundi 19 mars 2012 07:05

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Internet Authentication Service (IAS) is the Microsoft implementation of a Remote Authentication Dial-in User Service (RADIUS) server and proxy in Windows Server 2003. As a RADIUS server, IAS performs centralized connection authentication, authorization, and accounting for many types of network access, including wireless and virtual private network (VPN) connections. As a RADIUS proxy, IAS forwards authentication and accounting messages to other RADIUS servers.

In Windows Server 2008, IAS has been replaced with Network Policy Server (NPS).

You could find the best practices for the NPS server according to the hyperlink above.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

lundi 19 mars 2012 07:05
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

jeudi 22 mars 2012 01:01
  • Hi James,

My Apologies for not responding in a timely fashion.  My spam filter was catching the emails that were sent to inform me this thread had been updated.

I see in the NPS Best Practices that they recommend installing NPS on a domain controller to optimize it, so we will move forward with doing that.

Thank you!

jeudi 22 mars 2012 12:32
  • My Pleasure~

Regards,

James

James Xiong

vendredi 23 mars 2012 00:36