none
How to configure Hyper-V networking with only one NIC

Question

• I Have a Server Hosted in Remote Location, it has 2 NIc 1 is for Private Networks for Data Center Local Network, and  1 is Public Network which is Used for all public Network Access, i have Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterpirse Edition installed on it. I Have Installed  Hyer_V role and also Suceesfully Configured a VM on it, but my problem is how i configure Networking on the Server so i can access MY New Created VM from Public Network (any where from internet), i have also Installed a Virtual Network (External) in Hyper-V Virtual Network Manager.

I am also acctaching some screen shots here .

Thanks & Regards Ravindra Kumar Gautam For- ASHA SOFT TECH Pvt. Ltd.
    dimanche 6 novembre 2011 14:28

Réponses

• Hi,

First of all, let’s put your NIC1 which is used for all public Network Access aside.

If there is only one NIC on the Hyper-V server, you can create one External Virtual Network bind to this physical network adapter, then the system will spawn a virtual network adapter for Hyper-V host communication. Based on the snapshots, what you did is correct, the Local Area Connection 2 in the red ellipse is the spawned virtual network adapter. If you check Properties of the Public(network 2) you will find that nothing is bound except the Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol.

By the way,, it is recommend that you have a read of the following guide for Hyper-V networking.

How does basic networking work in Hyper-V?

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marqué comme réponse Asha SoftTech lundi 7 novembre 2011 21:31
    lundi 7 novembre 2011 03:22
    Modérateur
  • Asha,

When you created an External virtual network, the physical NIC is now acting like a switch (look the picture)

You can now give a different  IP address for each VM.

Regards, Samir Farhat Infrastructure Consultant
    • Marqué comme réponse Asha SoftTech lundi 7 novembre 2011 21:30
    lundi 7 novembre 2011 20:36

Toutes les réponses

• Here are 2 more Screen Shots.

----------------------------------------------

---------------------------------

dimanche 6 novembre 2011 14:31
  • when youre creating first virtual network(from public interface) pls remove the option allow management operating system to share the network adapter
    Darshana Jayathilake
    dimanche 6 novembre 2011 23:20
  • F

irst of all, you must understand Hyper-V networking.

Hyper-V networking overview

Interesting link 1

Interesting link 2

I guess that after reading these links, yoy will be able to setup your virtual networks.

didn't understand exactely what do you want to do. You have to NICs, so if you want to reach your VMs from your public network, just create an External virtual network with Hyper-V (call it Public-VN), uncheck the Allow management operating system to share the network adapter when creating the virtual network if you don't want that your physical server be also connected to the same public network.

Now, when crating a virtual machine, or in the Settings of the VM, choose to attach (connect) it to to this virtual network (Public-VN)

lundi 7 novembre 2011 01:59
  • Hi,

First of all, let’s put your NIC1 which is used for all public Network Access aside.

If there is only one NIC on the Hyper-V server, you can create one External Virtual Network bind to this physical network adapter, then the system will spawn a virtual network adapter for Hyper-V host communication. Based on the snapshots, what you did is correct, the Local Area Connection 2 in the red ellipse is the spawned virtual network adapter. If you check Properties of the Public(network 2) you will find that nothing is bound except the Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol.

By the way,, it is recommend that you have a read of the following guide for Hyper-V networking.

How does basic networking work in Hyper-V?

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marqué comme réponse Asha SoftTech lundi 7 novembre 2011 21:31
    lundi 7 novembre 2011 03:22
    Modérateur
  • Dear Sir,

First of all Thanks for your Reply.

Yes i have To NIC, but the thing is that 1 NIC (Private) is used by the Data-Center Internal Network Communication, For Public Network Access i have only 1 NIC, i have also Enabled REMOTE KVM over IP for the reason that when i configure , Virtual Network I lost Connectivity, wht to do plz assist, I have only 1 NIC that is to be used for the Public Network Access of the Server it self and also for the VM, and my second issue is how to Assign IP address to individual VM.

Thanks & Regards.

lundi 7 novembre 2011 05:23
  • PART1

Hi Asha,

Please did you read my proposed lilnks ?

Okay, i understand you problem.

You want just to use your second NIC (public) for two purposes:

- Connectivity to the server

-Connectivity to the VMs running under this server

Is this what you nedd?

Response:

You will create an external  virtual network adapter, map it to the public physical NIC, enable the OS sharing. Attach it to the desired VMs.

1- Go to Hyper-V console, Virtual Network Manager

2- Add an External Virtual NIC

3- Give a name for your new virtual external NIC, map it to you public physical NIC, check the Allow management OS to share this  network adapter (see the next reply)

lundi 7 novembre 2011 14:07
  • Now, you dispose of virtual network shared between your server and your VMs (named External-Public)

now:

1- Give an IP address to your physical servern just in your network and sharing center, find the External-Public NIC, and give it an IP address.

(Go to the next reply)

lundi 7 novembre 2011 14:20
  • Part3

2- now, go to the Hyper-V console, choose your VM and open it's settings

3- attach the virtual network NIC to your new external virtual network

4- bOpen your VM, and give it an IP address

DONE

lundi 7 novembre 2011 14:25
  • Dear Sir,

i Have done the Above Staps, now my problem is how i assign the Ip Address to the Individual VM ip Adress or or more than 1 ip address , do i need to assign MAC Address , if so how to get MAC address of any Ip Address.

lundi 7 novembre 2011 20:27
  • Asha,

When you created an External virtual network, the physical NIC is now acting like a switch (look the picture)

You can now give a different  IP address for each VM.

• Marqué comme réponse Asha SoftTech lundi 7 novembre 2011 21:30
    lundi 7 novembre 2011 20:36
  • sir ,

i have Only 1 NIC that is used for two purposes:

- Connectivity to the server

-Connectivity to the VMs running under this server

in the Hyper -V Manager in Setting of the VM, it only allow to assign A MAC (static) address, which i can not get for my wanted say 66.xx.xx.xx , how to do that so i can access my new vm from public network

lundi 7 novembre 2011 20:59
  • Dear Samir Sir,

I Have Successfully Configured all the Things, i was doing a silly Mistake of Assiging all the IP Address to new Created Virtaul Network NIC, that was i could not properly Configured VM's Networking, thanks a lot again of you and Mr. Vincet Hu your link was also helpfull.

Thanks again all of You.

lundi 7 novembre 2011 21:33
  • Hi Everyone,

I'm having the same problem in understanding how to setup a virt NIC in 2008 R2 Hyper-V.

I built the server last week and it was fine - I added in the hyper-v this morning but now in my network config locally I can see two interfaces but the properties appear to be backwards:

Name: LOCAL NIC    (called it that)

Device Name: Local Area Connection-Virt Network

Connectivity:   No network access

Network Catagory:   Domain Network

Owner:   system

That one is bound to all except MS Virt Net Switch Protocol and IP6 that was / is the physcial NIC and it still has my manual IP assigments.

The second NIC after a re-discover says:

Name: Local Area Connection    

Device Name: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controlor

Connectivity:   (blank)

Network Catagory: (blank)

Owner:   system

I wanted to leave the physcial NIC on it's static address for the sever to be seen by the network and now its off the network.  The second NIC (virt) was going to be used by the 2003 R2 server I built in Hyper-V to serve out info on the network to two other people.

I started to read through jhowards bacic hyper-v how to blog and thats when I noticed my NICs are backwards?  Can anyone help me fix this?

The server is not being used yet ..... my bad, if I posted this in the wrong way or place.   

Cheers'
    Dave

lundi 26 mars 2012 21:13