none
adding reg key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] “SessionMerging”=00000000 via GPO

Question

• How to add the reg key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] “SessionMerging”=00000000 via GPO to a specific group of users under OU? Just a note, users not running login script and computers are all in deifferent OU and can't be moved.

Your help is really appreciated!

Thank you,

Emilia

EmiK

mercredi 20 juin 2012 03:35

Réponses

Toutes les réponses

• In Group Policy go to User Configuration : Preferences : Windows Settings : Registry

Enter the information for the registry key.  Now click on the "Common" tab, select "item-level targeting", then click on Targeting. This will open the Targeting Editor where you can select exctly what it is you want to apply your registry settings to. Click on "new item" and select "Security Group".

Select the Group the users are part of and save your settings.

Hope this helps.

Tim Gross Systems Engineer II

mercredi 20 juin 2012 11:53
  • Thank you Tim for your quick reply. I created the GPO and one question I have, on the icon of the reg there is a yellow triangle. What is that, is it a warning?

Thanks again!

EmiK

mercredi 20 juin 2012 14:08
  • No, that icon is a visual for the type of action you specified when creating the entry.  The yellow triangle represents the update setting.  A green triangle would be create, a red triangle would be replace, and a red x represents delete.  Just depends on what you want the system to do.

mercredi 20 juin 2012 14:13
  • ahh, got it. Now, that the GPO is configured I can just apply it to OUs where the specific users reside. Right?

EmiK

mercredi 20 juin 2012 14:16
  • Have you specified any other settings in the Policy?  If you have other settings in the policy, they will get applied based on the security filtering setting on the policy.  When you link the policy to an OU or domain, you will see that in the scope of the policy there is a security filtering setting.  By default it will have Authenticated Users listed as an entry.  This will tell Group Policy to apply settings to any computers or users that are authenticated by a domain controller.  If you wish to limit the policy so that all of the settings in the policy are applied only to a specific group of users or computers, then you need to remove "Authenticated Users" and add the group you are wanting to apply settings to.  If the registry entry is the only thing you have entered in the policy then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I guess if you are looking to apply several settings in a policy to a specific group of users, then you should probably do so by limiting the security filtering setting and applying it to the OU that the users reside in.

mercredi 20 juin 2012 14:52
  •  
    > on the icon of the reg there is a yellow triangle. What is that, is it
    > a warning?
    >
    >

That's "Action: Update".

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    mercredi 20 juin 2012 15:44
  • There are no other settings on this GPO, is only the registry entry. Then applying the security filtering at item-level that would be enough and no need to be worried Auth Users. I'm going to test and let you know, also I will mark the answer accordingly.

Thanks again for all your help!

EmiK

mercredi 20 juin 2012 15:51
  • It is working fine on Win 7 but not on Win XP. We have other GPO in Preference mode that are working fine on Win XP.

The GP results shows the policy has been applied and the component status is success.

EmiK

mercredi 20 juin 2012 18:04
  • There are no other settings on this GPO, is only the registry entry. Then applying the security filtering at item-level that would be enough and no need to be worried Auth Users. I'm going to test and let you know, also I will mark the answer accordingly.

Thanks again for all your help!

EmiK

Yes, technically that's enough. Applying security filtering instead of ILT results in better performance, though - the GPO is filtered out in an earlier stage of processing.

Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

mercredi 20 juin 2012 20:29
  • I suggest running "gpresult /h rsop.html" from an elevated command prompt and examine the rsop.html. Is your preference setting present in this report? Maybe it's just filtered out...

mercredi 20 juin 2012 20:36
  • Hi,

If all your Windows 7 work fine, and Widnows XP could not, then I would like to know that whether all your Windows XP have GPP CSE installed:

Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP (KB943729)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3628

If you have installed the CSE, then please run RSOP.MSC on Windows XP and check out whether the GPO applied to the user?

In addition, if the issue still there, please check out the event logs and post more information for further analysis.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

jeudi 21 juin 2012 05:53