none
WSUS status summary question

Question

• We have a bunch of servers and workstations when I look at them it shows x amount of updates to install, x amount of updates that have been installed and 24 updates have unknow status.

I have my servers in one computer group and all my workstations in another.

So if I approve a windows XP or MS Office 2007 update I push it to the computers only.

If I look at the x amount updates have not been installed for my servers, it shows windows XP, MS Office 2007 updates that are not approved for the server group but they are approved for the computer group so why are they listed under updates that have not bee installed?

For updates have unknown status what exactly does that mean?

If there a tool you can download or something you can run to see exactly what updates a server or workstation could be missing?

Also, If I push a microsoft office or a dot frameworks security or critical update to a server and the server does not have those pieces of software installed on the server, will the windows update push itself onto that workstation?

vendredi 15 février 2013 17:40

Réponses

• If I look at the x amount updates have not been installed for my servers, it shows windows XP, MS Office 2007 updates that are not approved for the server group but they are approved for the computer group so why are they listed under updates that have not bee installed?

The STATE of an update is a completely separate thing from the APPROVAL. The Windows Update Agent reports STATE for all updates in the WSUS collection. The UPDATE is classified as "NotInstalled" in the report because at least one machine has reported that STATE.

For updates have unknown status what exactly does that mean?

Generally it means that the update has arrived on the WSUS server, but some computers have not yet reported their STATE for that update. This could simply be a question of not enough time, or it could be an indication that some computers are not communicating with the WSUS server.

If there a tool you can download or something you can run to see exactly what updates a server or workstation could be missing?

You can get this from the built-in reports. Find the computer. Right click and select Status Report. Filter the report for "Needed" updates.

Also, If I push a microsoft office or a dot frameworks security or critical update to a server and the server does not have those pieces of software installed on the server, will the windows update push itself onto that workstation?

No. You cannot 'update' a product that's not there. The behavior is no different than it would be with Automatic Updates or if you launched a scan against Microsoft Update. If Office is not installed, the Office updates will not be presented.

You may find some value from reviewing the Manage Updates section of the WSUS Operations Guide.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

lundi 18 février 2013 14:10