none
WSUS fails to sync with windows update after install

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have added the WSUS role to a new 2008 R2 machine, when i try to synch to windows update through the initial config wizard i get the below error msg

I doubt it's a proxy issue as i have the another wsus running with the same proxy settings with no problems (proxy server and credentials)

- Both servers can access the internet, and both have the same IE proxy settings.
    - Both servers are running with the same WSusCertServer Service (Local System Account)

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced!

mercredi 30 janvier 2013 04:21

Réponses

• - I have configured the 2008R2 servers WinHTTP settings to the same as the working WSUS server (2003R2)

So what is different about the 2008R2 server from the 2003 server? If they have identical settings, and are configured identically for the proxy server, then the client shouldn't be getting a Proxy Authentication (HTTP 407) error. Although, as noted, allowing a client to use an unauthenticated connection is usually a configuration in the proxy server, not in the client. Is the Proxy Server configured to allow this 2008R2 system to make unauthenticated connections?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

mardi 5 février 2013 00:21
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• more logs...

2013-01-30 04:30:30.999 UTC Warning WsusService.37 RollupEventReporter.ReportEventBatchImpl Failed to roll up events to USS. Exiting rollup. Exception: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
    2013-01-30 04:30:31.000 UTC Info WsusService.37 MicrosoftUpdateRollup.RefreshMUUrlIfNecessary Rollup failed with an error that may require redirection. Refreshing MU URL.
    2013-01-30 04:30:31.001 UTC Info WsusService.37 WebServiceCommunicationHelper.GetProxyConfiguration Use Proxy: $$$$$$$$$:8080
    2013-01-30 04:30:31.003 UTC Info WsusService.37 WebServiceCommunicationHelper.GetProxyConfiguration Using Proxy Credentials: $$$$$$$$\$$$$$$$$$ : ****
    2013-01-30 04:30:31.013 UTC Warning WsusService.37 ServerRedirector.DownloadCab Redirection aborted.  Could not download redirector cab.
    2013-01-30 04:30:31.014 UTC Warning WsusService.37 MicrosoftUpdateRollup.RefreshMUUrlIfNecessary Failed to refresh MU URL after a failed rollup. Exception: Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.RedirectorException: Redirection aborted.  Could not download redirector cab.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerRedirector.DownloadCab(String targetPath, UpdateServerConfiguration serverConfig)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerRedirector.UpdateMUUrls(UpdateServerConfiguration serverConfig)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.RefreshMUUrl(UpdateServerConfiguration serverConfig)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.Reporting.Rollup.MicrosoftUpdateRollup.RefreshMUUrlIfNecessary(WebException webException)
    2013-01-30 04:30:31.015 UTC Error WsusService.37 MicrosoftUpdateRollup.DoRollup Error found when running rollup: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The function requested is not supported
       at System.Net.NTAuthentication.GetOutgoingBlob(Byte[] incomingBlob, Boolean throwOnError, SecurityStatus& statusCode)
       at System.Net.NTAuthentication.GetOutgoingBlob(String incomingBlob)
       at System.Net.NtlmClient.DoAuthenticate(String challenge, WebRequest webRequest, ICredentials credentials, Boolean preAuthenticate)
       at System.Net.NtlmClient.Authenticate(String challenge, WebRequest webRequest, ICredentials credentials)
       at System.Net.AuthenticationManager.Authenticate(String challenge, WebRequest request, ICredentials credentials)
       at System.Net.AuthenticationState.AttemptAuthenticate(HttpWebRequest httpWebRequest, ICredentials authInfo)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckResubmitForAuth()
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckResubmit(Exception& e)

mercredi 30 janvier 2013 04:42
  • I doubt it's a proxy issue as i have the another wsus running with the same proxy settings with no problems (proxy server and credentials)

Apparently not. The fact that one works and one does not means that something is different!

Exception: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

It *IS* a proxy issue, because ONLY a proxy server can return an HTTP 407 code!

Furthermore, a proxy authentication issue is problematic for a WSUS server, because WSUS does not support authenticated proxy connections. So your proxy server is expecting an authenticated connection and it's never going to get one from a WSUS server. The question is this: Why doesn't the other server need to authenticate?

Both servers can access the internet, and both have the same IE proxy settings.

IE Proxy Settings are not relevant. Have you checked the WinHTTP Proxy Settings with netsh winhttp proxy?

Furthermore, IE can use an authenticated proxy connection (which is usually the Windows credentials of the logged on user).

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

samedi 2 février 2013 00:52
    Modérateur
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for you help! i have a better understanding on how the proxy settings works now but unfortunately it's still not working. below is what i have done

- I have configured the 2008R2 servers WinHTTP settings to the same as the working WSUS server (2003R2)
    - WinHTTP settings have been applied correctly as i've compared both servers with "netsh winhttp show proxy" and  registries settings @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections
    - I still get the same error msg

cheers

lundi 4 février 2013 23:38
  • - I have configured the 2008R2 servers WinHTTP settings to the same as the working WSUS server (2003R2)

So what is different about the 2008R2 server from the 2003 server? If they have identical settings, and are configured identically for the proxy server, then the client shouldn't be getting a Proxy Authentication (HTTP 407) error. Although, as noted, allowing a client to use an unauthenticated connection is usually a configuration in the proxy server, not in the client. Is the Proxy Server configured to allow this 2008R2 system to make unauthenticated connections?

SolarWinds Head Geek

mardi 5 février 2013 00:21
    Modérateur