none
Setting up Replica WSUS servers at remote sites.

Question

• We've decided to set-up replica WSUS servers at all of our larger remote sites.    I have a central server here at the main office with replicas at each location all looking to our server for their downloads.  

However I'm seeing some odd behavior.    3 of the 4 sites think they need to download 9,000+ updates at 124GB total.   1 Site Thinks it only needs 388MB of downloads.  The main server only has about 69GB of updates.   Something is wrong here.

vendredi 26 avril 2013 19:35

Toutes les réponses

• 3 of the 4 sites think they need to download 9,000+ updates at 124GB total.   1 Site Thinks it only needs 388MB of downloads.  The main server only has about 69GB of updates.   Something is wrong here.

I would agree. Something is very wrong here.

So the first question is this: How many updates are physically present on the upstream server, how many updates are *approved* on the upstream server and what is the physical size of the ~\WSUSContent folder? Also, when is the last time you performed "update approval administration" on the upstream server and ran the Server Cleanup Wizard?

Second question, have you confirmed that all four sites are, in fact, configured as replica servers of this upstream server and have *succesfully* performed a synchronization with the upstream server? (Look at the Synchronizations node of the console of each downstream server and/or review the Synchronization Report on each downstream server.) These numbers suggest that one server is configured differently from the rest.

Third .... WSUS servers only download files for approved updates. ~388MB is close to the amount of files that need to be downloaded for a WSUS server with only the WSUS Infrastructure updates approved (Which are approved by default), and all languages selected (Actually, I'm not even sure if that will make ~388MB of files -- but I cannot find any other way in which <500MB of files would exist on a NEW server).

If I had to make an educated guess.. I would guess that the three servers with 9000+ updates and 124GB of files (actually, I'm somewhat challenged to imagine a scenario that would produce 124GB of files, either -- except maybe with "Express Installation Files" enabled AND all languages selected), are representative of what's on your upstream server, and that the fourth server, that only needs 388MB of downloads, is not actually a replica server, but an autonomous server and only interested in downloading the files for the several "WSUS Infrastructure" updates.

If that's the case.... the more critical question here is why does your upstream server have 124GB of update files!?

Otherwise, we might start with the more basic question -- how did you install/configure your "replica" servers?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

lundi 29 avril 2013 02:27
  • 1.  We automatically approve Critical, Definitionm, Security Updates, Service Packs and Update roll ups.    Only in English.   

2. There are 9563 approved updates on our upstream server.   

3. That folder contains 132GB of Data.   

4. I run the cleanup wizard every month.

5.  All of the downstream servers are showing at least 1 successful synchronization.

6.  The "odd" server is saying that options are disabled because it's a "replica" of an upstream server.

The configuration was simple.   During the initial setup wizard I checked the box that said make this server a replica of the upstream server (or some such wording).

mardi 30 avril 2013 13:37
  • 2. There are 9563 approved updates on our upstream server.

That's about twenty times the typical number of updates that are approved on a well-maintained WSUS server, and absolutely answers the question why your replica servers want to download 9000+ updates ... that's what they're supposed to do: Download the approved updates.

So the actual defect here is the one server that only wants to download 388MB of updates. Either it's a replica server that's already completed the original synchronization and download of the 9000+ approved updates (not at all likely), or it's not actually a replica server, but is, in fact, an autonomous server, which does not synchronize approvals, and thus does not download files (except for the very few WSUS Mandatory Updates that all servers have approved and downloaded).

I run the cleanup wizard every month.

But never remove approvals from any updates. Please review a recent blog post I did at PatchZone.org: Removing unneeded update approvals.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

dimanche 26 mai 2013 18:39