none
WDS and MS Office

שאלה

• Quick question. I'm currently in the I.T program here in Seattle.

I recently just setup a WDS server on Windows server 2008 for testing purposes and got everything to work with no problem on a client machine on PXE boot.

My question is my instructor heard somewhere that you could install MS Office separately using WDS after your OS has been installed. So basically you use WDS to install your OS image, then afterwords you go back to WDS and select Office 2010 from the WDS menu to install over your current installed OS. Is this even possible? I did a search online and I didn't really find anything about it. Just wanted to confirm if you could or not. If yes, how would I go able doing so? thanks.

PS. I know you can make an OS image with Office included in it. Just trying to see If you can do them separately.

יום שישי 15 יוני 2012 01:27

תשובות

• No.  However, you could solve that problem in a different way using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012.  Basically, this free automation toolkit can integrate with WDS.  So the toolkit creates a bootable wim called LiteTouch.wim, you add that to WDS boot image.  Within MDT you add a task sequence for the OS install.  This will take care of step 1, use PXE from WDS and deployment using MDT control.  You could optionally add another task sequence which simply installs Office, so from within the working OS you just deployed run task sequence from MDT to install Office in unattended way, this resolves #2. 

As you indicated, most customers use MDT to create reference image with Office integrated, sysprep and capture.  Upload custom install.wim to MDT, leverage WDS to PXE and eliminate physical media.

A lot of videos are available on this online.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי pharaohx יום שישי 15 יוני 2012 15:43
    יום שישי 15 יוני 2012 11:20

כל התגובות

• No.  However, you could solve that problem in a different way using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012.  Basically, this free automation toolkit can integrate with WDS.  So the toolkit creates a bootable wim called LiteTouch.wim, you add that to WDS boot image.  Within MDT you add a task sequence for the OS install.  This will take care of step 1, use PXE from WDS and deployment using MDT control.  You could optionally add another task sequence which simply installs Office, so from within the working OS you just deployed run task sequence from MDT to install Office in unattended way, this resolves #2. 

As you indicated, most customers use MDT to create reference image with Office integrated, sysprep and capture.  Upload custom install.wim to MDT, leverage WDS to PXE and eliminate physical media.

A lot of videos are available on this online.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי pharaohx יום שישי 15 יוני 2012 15:43
    יום שישי 15 יוני 2012 11:20
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got clarified. Thanks for your time and marking.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

יום שני 18 יוני 2012 05:55
    מנחה דיון