none
Cannot Access FTP through Internet

שאלה

• Hello Everyone!

Today i created a FTP server with the help of Windows Server 2003 x64 R2. Everything went fine. the server worked and i could access it using my internal LAN IP address. However i could not access it via my External IP Address.

I installed no-ip client but even that doesn't work. When i try to access the FTP through another computer through the no-ip address it just throws up an error that  it is unable to connect.

To check if the problem was with my FTP deployment, i ran HFS file server but still i couldnt access it using internet.

To make sure that its not my firewall, modem or ISP problem, i ran HFS on a standard windows 7machine (using the same modem and ISP) and it WORKED!!!

I firmly believe it has to do something with the server operating system itself. if anyone can show my the right direction on how to access the FTP through the internet, it would be really grateful

Thank You

Chirag

Chirag

יום חמישי 31 מאי 2012 10:18

תשובות

• Hi,

Since you are unable to view the FTP site via the Internet, what’s the error message you have received when you tried to open the FTP site in the Internet Explorer web browser?

Have you built up any firewall software such as ISA or proxy server in front of your file server? If so, you could have a try to follow the KB article below to verify the issue:

Title: Internal clients cannot use Internet Explorer to access FTP sites through Web proxies
    URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814473

Of course, you could look into the Event Viewer on the server to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings recorded or not.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

יום שישי 01 יוני 2012 02:18

כל התגובות

• Hi,

Since you are unable to view the FTP site via the Internet, what’s the error message you have received when you tried to open the FTP site in the Internet Explorer web browser?

Have you built up any firewall software such as ISA or proxy server in front of your file server? If so, you could have a try to follow the KB article below to verify the issue:

Title: Internal clients cannot use Internet Explorer to access FTP sites through Web proxies
    URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814473

Of course, you could look into the Event Viewer on the server to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings recorded or not.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

יום שישי 01 יוני 2012 02:18
  • Disable the firewall on the server to see if is working. Make sure you forwarded port 21 and 20 on your firewall to the FTP server.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

יום שישי 01 יוני 2012 05:58
  • Adrian, thanks for the reply.

Yes i have disabled the firewall yet it doesnt work. i havnt installed any kind of anti virus also. now regarding the port forwarding, since firewall is OFF it should not interfere..should it?

Also another weird problem that is happening is, if i connect to FTP using Windows explorer it works and i can access everything and read/write.However when i try to take a backup with Acronis Server to the FTP, it says it doesnt have write access. how can this be corrected?

Thank You

Chirag

יום שישי 01 יוני 2012 14:42
  • Thanks James, for your reply

I will definitely follow your instructions and let you know.

Thank You

Chirag

יום שישי 01 יוני 2012 14:44