none
DNS and domain name

שאלה

• Hi,

i have a couple of question concerning DNS.

i got a domain name from 1and1.co.uk, and in my local dns server i have added a host that points t the parent folder which has the same name as my domain name. the problem is when i type my url in the adress bar of any navigator : mydomain.com

i am hosting a web application on IIS so usully it opens just fine with one hitch : the url changes to my ip adress automaticly, so i have no idea is it a problem in DNS or in IIS.

My second problem is with FTP, i want to add a child domain name for the ftp like : ftp.mydomain.com, but so far it doesn't work.

can you tell if am doing all this correctly or i am missing somthing.

thank you

יום רביעי 13 יוני 2012 09:06

תשובות

• So I am not clear whether you are hosting this on IIS on your network, or the provider's network....

Ok, so with regard to ftp, first you establish the DNS record in that zone.  create a record and map it to the host that is providing this service.  

If you are hosting this on your network, you would map that host name back to the public IP address that is hosting this FTP service.  If that service is within your private network, the public IP is your internet router and you will need to configure port forwarding on that router to map the public IP back to the private IP address.

If the FTP is hosted at the provider, just map the DNS host name to the public IP address of the FTP provider.

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

יום חמישי 14 יוני 2012 14:02

כל התגובות

• The redirection can be in one of two places.

At your hosting provider AND/OR in IIS, did you enable any type of forwarding for the domain (301 or 302)?  

יום רביעי 13 יוני 2012 13:42
  • i have actually changed a forwarding in my DNS provider which is 1and1, and updated it from http redirect to a header redirecte...and it workd for now,  it fixed the adress of the website, but i still can't figure out how to let other connect to my FTP site, is it through defining the ports that will be redirected to ??

still working on it.

יום חמישי 14 יוני 2012 08:15
  • So I am not clear whether you are hosting this on IIS on your network, or the provider's network....

Ok, so with regard to ftp, first you establish the DNS record in that zone.  create a record and map it to the host that is providing this service.  

If you are hosting this on your network, you would map that host name back to the public IP address that is hosting this FTP service.  If that service is within your private network, the public IP is your internet router and you will need to configure port forwarding on that router to map the public IP back to the private IP address.

If the FTP is hosted at the provider, just map the DNS host name to the public IP address of the FTP provider.

יום חמישי 14 יוני 2012 14:02
  • Hi,

How are things going? I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update or concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

יום שני 18 יוני 2012 02:00
    מנחה דיון